Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was my last SS race. It was absolutely brutal with too many steep inclines and elevation in such a short course. Maybe it wouldn't have been as bad with different gearing (32x19). Suffered for 2 hours and fortunately didn't finish DFL but my outlook was dark and bleak upon completion. Time to strap on some gears and get back to enjoying my rides. I'm too old for this sh*t.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
I'd expect this from the guy who did come DFL, but not you, you're better than that. Plus, you're not old enough to retire yet ;)

Keep your chin up

·
Registered
479 Posts
Last night was my last SS race. It was absolutely brutal with too many steep inclines and elevation in such a short course. Maybe it wouldn't have been as bad with different gearing (32x19). Suffered for 2 hours and fortunately didn't finish DFL but my outlook was dark and bleak upon completion. Time to strap on some gears and get back to enjoying my rides. I'm too old for this sh*t.
Ironically, I felt the same the last time I race MTB geared! Hope you enjoy the change. I love riding Gravel SS but doubt seriously I would enjoy racing MTB SS.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ironically, I felt the same the last time I race MTB geared! Hope you enjoy the change. I love riding Gravel SS but doubt seriously I would enjoy racing MTB SS.
I raced a gravel race SS last weekend and felt the exact same way afterwards. Improper gearing for sure. Haven't given up on that yet, just need to make my gearing a little more user-friendly.

·
aka "SirLurkAlot"
623 Posts
Just a thought but maybe give up racing instead of SS. Or, race gears if that's what makes you happy.

Either way, get back to having fun. That's what MTBing should be.

Best of luck finding your new groove.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Well, you've had a good run Erichwic, lots of good times. Just follow me out here behind the shed where I've got a nice new triple chain ring for you... ::gets choked up::

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I did a full season of sprint races on my SS last spring. It was fun, but I got burned out. So raced my FS geared bike through the summer, fall and winter. Now I miss racing my SS and started to sign up to race it again. I never stopped riding it, but I did stop racing it.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,582 Posts
I've retired from racing my rigid SS.
The races are getting rockier and steeper and I'm getting older.
The Kona Unit is such a nice bike to ride, I've turned it into my "joy of cycling" bike.
A 1x10 Giant Anthem for XC and endurance racing and a 1x11 rigid Stumpjumper conversion for gravelling.

I never want to lose the smile I get from the Unit and I'm afraid a couple more rough XC's might have done it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've retired from racing my rigid SS.
The races are getting rockier and steeper and I'm getting older.
The Kona Unit is such a nice bike to ride, I've turned it into my "joy of cycling" bike.
A 1x10 Giant Anthem for XC and endurance racing and a 1x11 rigid Stumpjumper conversion for gravelling.

I never want to lose the smile I get from the Unit and I'm afraid a couple more rough XC's might have done it.
Pretty much how I feel. Had a generous friend donate a 10-speed drivetrain to me so I'm going to convert for this season. Plan is to get a dedicated full-suspension bike next year then convert my SS back to a dedicated SS to keep in the quiver. I'll never eliminate the SS since it's nice for certain trails, just not the weapon of choice in the events I want to challenge myself with.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that I really enjoy riding, and riding as hard as I can mostly. I just don't like racing anymore.

Ain't giving up my Nature Boy though.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've come to the conclusion that I really enjoy riding, and riding as hard as I can mostly. I just don't like racing anymore.

Yeah, I don't really enjoy racing, but it definitely makes me faster. I enjoy riding fast and racing pushes the envelope for me. Ride solo quite a bit which gets boring and it's hard to push yourself at times. Racing is a motivator.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,276 Posts

I hit a major wall in the last couple months. I was signed up and itching to go at at least a couple hundred mile events this summer... I woke up one day a couple months ago and realized that I absolutely hate the training part of racing. I don't like plugging away miles on a road bike, which is what you have to do through the winter here. Riding also starts to feel like a chore when you're training for a big event.

It sucks. I am a very goal oriented person so when I don't have something to work towards I kind of feel like I am drifting in space. I still haven't decided which is worse; spending so much time training that I get sick of bicycles, or just kind of riding whenever and drinking too much beer out of pure boredom.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I hit a major wall in the last couple months. I was signed up and itching to go at at least a couple hundred mile events this summer... I woke up one day a couple months ago and realized that I absolutely hate the training part of racing. I don't like plugging away miles on a road bike, which is what you have to do through the winter here. Riding also starts to feel like a chore when you're training for a big event.

It sucks. I am a very goal oriented person so when I don't have something to work towards I kind of feel like I am drifting in space. I still haven't decided which is worse; spending so much time training that I get sick of bicycles, or just kind of riding whenever and drinking too much beer out of pure boredom.
When I went through this phase I did an event or two throughout the year. No expectations and I can be somewhat fit in a month of training. This way I can spend time with friends at an event, relax, not feel like I have to train every single day, and still enjoy bikes. A 12 hour race with a 4 man team event is great. I normally avoid longer events since the lack of base causes me to fade at the end. A 20 miler is no big deal. 50 is another story if you want to do well.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,824 Posts
Op: I agree it sounds like you just misjudged the gearing. Hope you don't throw in the towel if you still enjoy racing SS.

I hear what you're saying and I've had short phases where I have similar feelings but never too serious. I really like having something to work towards and setting goals. I don't mind the training rides, but I also don't grind out road miles. All my riding is done in the woods for the most part, I do use the cross bike in the offseason to supplement the fatbike riding, depending on snow/trail conditions.

This is not an ideal way to train for most people obviously, but the thought of structured training on a road bike makes me cringe. Who wants to grind out road miles so you can be a better mountain biker? Not me, I'll be having fun in the woods thank you very much.

Variety is key for me. I mix up what bike I ride frequently. Keeps it fun for me.

No power meter, never used a heart rate monitor, no idea what my cadence is, etc. I think it's amazing how far you can push your fitness without all that stuff.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
So, to be clear, we aren’t headed out behind the shed yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.