Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 736 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 62 avid cyclist,Road and mountain.Want to retire somewhere where I can do both and hang out with like minded.Have been looking at retirement communities,not old folk homes,but places like saddlebrooke in Arizona.Plan on visiting Bend Oregon,Boise Idaho,St George Utah and others.Open to suggestions.Dont like humidty.That sort of rules out Florida.I think Georgia has some biking north of Atlanta.What are all you old guys thinking?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where? I enjoy mountain biking and skiing. Not a fan of big cities I've been looking at some small towns in western Colorado that will give me access to each.

When? I'm 52. I'd like to be out there by the time I'm 60. Even if I'm not retired. I hope to be able to work part-time from home by then.

That's the plan, anyway. It's good to have goals.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Idyllwild, CA(4600ft) has 40+ miles combined network of trails you can ride straight out of your front door, 300 days out of the year. Idyllwild has homes, starting at $25k to $450k. The riding locals consists of a 69-year-old singlespeeder, 86-year-old trail rider, a few CAT1 XC pros, a World-Class marathon racer and a bunch of bikepackers, mixed with a few trail enthusiasts. Two excellent bike shops are up there, who can do everything from fork, shock and suspension service....to alloy frame repair.

For a retired biker - Idyllwild is literally a Country Club: with top dining establishments, hiking, nearby lakes.....all in a Alpine environment. :thumbsup:

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
Where I live one can do anything from a rails to trails to stuff that requires a six inch bike with body armor. Not to mention we have skiing. But really, where you plan to live should have the consideration of factors that don't just include biking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
55 years young and retired and living in Heber Utah. The wife and I moved here 5+ years ago from Park City. We got tired of our taxes being way to high and the have to have something going on in PC 52 weeks out of the year to keep the dirt pimps and merchants happy. Our taxes are 1/3 of what they were in PC and that was one of the things we looked at with both of us being in our fifties and looking at ways to reduce our overhead. We have hundreds of miles of trails in PC and Heber Valley and when the snow flies we are 20 minutes to PCMR or PCM if you drink the kool-aid. Heber is at 5500' feet so the winters are not quite as harsh as what we used to see in PC which is at 7000'and then again there has not been a real winter here in 5 years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are so many factors to retirement, family, cost of living, weather, etc. etc. I like biking but that would have to somewhat down on the list of things that are a factor.

You mentioned North Georgia, let me tell you it is HOT and humid in the summer pretty much everywhere in the south. I used to work in Ringold, GA.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Laramie, really. You must like cold and wind.
I grew up there and I am very happy to not living there anymore.
I am retired and live in Lakewood, CO. Lots of riding in the area. Best place to retire, I do not know; but my wife is a native of Denver, so I had no choice.
Good luck in your retirement.
Wayne

·
Registered
298 Posts
Don't like the humidity of Florida, but are thinking of moving closer to Kentucky? You're doing it wrong.

Move west, young man. Like, at least two hundred miles west of the Mississippi.

Here's a map to help you find areas void of water. Whatever you do, avoid anything near the Gulf of Google.

Blue Yellow Atmosphere Red Line

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Age 59 and retiring to Prescott AZ in one year from Nome AK. Being near family is the main consideration in the choice of Prescott, but really looking forward to nearby cycling opportunities: Sedona, Flag, PHX, BCT. Prescott itself seems to have embraced mtb with new trails going in every year. If not for family, I would probably be looking at Silver City NM. Can't wait. I ride my fatbike year round up here in AK, but I miss riding real singletrack. Looking forward to buying a couple of new bikes, too. Woot!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,045 Posts
Laramie, really. You must like cold and wind.
I grew up there and I am very happy to not living there anymore.
I am retired and live in Lakewood, CO. Lots of riding in the area. Best place to retire, I do not know; but my wife is a native of Denver, so I had no choice.
Good luck in your retirement.
Wayne
I couldn't agree with you more about Laramie. One of the coldest windiest places in the U.S. I have a part time airport shuttle gig I do once a week. I've been doing it for a couple of years now. Every shift that I work I'have to drive from Fort Collins to Cheyenne and over to Laramie via I-80. Sometimes twice in a shift. One miserable place that area is. It's very common to have 60 mph winds in blizzard white out conditions going across I-80 between the two cities. Yet Fort Collins is just 1 hour from Laramie via 287 and it's a night and day difference in weather.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My priorities:
Near my kids, or at least one of them.
Snow for skiing and fatbiking
Close to large trail system.

I might end up in the upper Midwest. Hopefully with an RV so I can ride all over the east coast (and finally learn to kiteboard).

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I retired four years ago about a week after I turned 62.

We moved to an "active" adult community this past June. My experience is that the definition of active adult in these communities is "your heart is beating and you have money" and if you have money, they will keep your heart beating. Though there is a hike/bike club, the biking is basically rail trails. Its a fun social event but definitely not the type of biking on MTBR.

Fortunately, we live in North Jersey so finding like minded people is no problem only you are not going to find them in an adult community. I find rides on Meetup.com and other sites. There are plenty of people our age who want to ride but you have to seek them out.

I also ski - a lot, like 85 days a season, so living anywhere not near a ski area is not going to happen. Besides our local hills, New England is five hours away and any where else is usually a non-stop flight from Newark Liberty Airport.

Oh, yeah, I still surf. An ocean better be close and I love NYC too.

Honestly, if money is an issue, don't move to NJ to retire. It really is a fantastic place to live but there is a reason it was picked deal last as a place to retire. My wife and I are lucky and travel a great deal and I've been to 49 states. Personally, I'd rather vacation in different areas and live here but that is me. We're heading to Norcal next week to ride with friends and have in-laws in Hawaii so we have options other people may not have and both our son's live here.

Enough though. You are going to have to decide what is most important to you.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Year round riding?

If you are looking for year round riding then you have fewer options. And how much riding do you do, and what type? Some people ride 5 miles per day and put their bikes away in winter. So where they live is not that big a deal. I retired where I could do my kind of mountain biking - 40 miles rides in mountainous terrain, year round. My two choices were the Auburn, CA area and Prescott, AZ. I chose Auburn because Tahoe is my favorite place to ride and it is a reasonable drive to bike there 5 months of the year, and then ride locally the rest of the year. And being a botanist I needed a bit more green than Prescott offered. Being retired I take trips to Arizona in the winter too. Lots of photos and info on these places on my biking site.

Nature Vegetation Mountainous landforms Highland Hill

Nature Blue Natural landscape Natural environment Mountainous landforms

·
Log off and go ride!
1,873 Posts
Consider Reno, NV. Low taxes, full amenity city. Close to Tahoe and all the riding, skiing, and backcountry of the Sierra, but NOT in California. Reno itself has relatively high housing costs. So look at Carson City, Gardnerville/Minden, or one of the outlying Reno suburbs.

California is NOT a retirement friendly state. Consistently listed as one of the worst states for retirement.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Santa Cruz Mountains. Nearest trails, 1/2 mile. San Francisco, 1/2 hour drive. It would be expensive to move here now, but I'm already here and the house is paid for. Property taxes are limited by Proposition 13 here and based on what I bought the place for 23 years ago (in the middle of a recession). Why would I want to move?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I love the idea of retiring to the Pacific NW but I'm not sure I can pull it off financially. I will move out of town when I go, though--the main advantage of where I am is that I can bike to work (2miles) but once that convenience is no longer required, there's little else holding me here...

1 - 20 of 736 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.