Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend decided that she wants to get into mountain biking again so that she can ride with me. She has an older Gary Fisher. It’s either a 96 or 98 model. It hadn’t been ridden in about 4 years she said. I changed the tubes and adjusted her shifting. I plan on replacing the cables first chance I get. What I am worried about are the parts like the hubs. We rode the pipeline trail in Salt Lake City and her bike seemed to do fine, even the downhill 30+ mph road section that I didn’t know about since I was just visiting. During the high speed section I wondered if the fact that the bike was sitting up may have been bad on the hubs and if they would be more likely to fail now and cause her to get hurt. They didn’t seem to make any unusual noises and spun very freely. Her bike is currently being shipped to my place in Louisiana so we don’t have the high speeds to worry about. I was just curious what parts, if any need to be replaced from just sitting there.
Thanks in advance
PsycJester

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think the hubs should be OK, bikes don't weigh much so crushing the bearings shouldn't be an issue. On the other hand, 10-year-old grease may not be in the best of shape, so cleaning and regreasing would be a good idea. Brake pads might have hardened over time, and you should keep on eye on the tires for cracks in the sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
When I resurrect an old bike, I do a complete strip down and rebuild everything. Replace cables and housings and other things as necessary. Like Rufudufus said, don't worry too much about the hubs, they should be fine, but tearing them open and repacking them couldn't hurt at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I was planning on replacing the tires, cables, and possibly brakes anyway. I've never regreased bearings before though. Is it difficult of is it something I should have my LBS do?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
PsycJester said:
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I was planning on replacing the tires, cables, and possibly brakes anyway. I've never regreased bearings before though. Is it difficult of is it something I should have my LBS do?
not very difficult, but requires some cone wrenches (and a magnet is helpful).
park tool's repair section has good instructions. adjusting is a bit tricky, but if you've adjusted BB's or headset's w/ ball bearings before (as opposed to cartridge bearings), you'll know what's goin' on.

if in doubt, ask the local wrench how much to do it, shouldn't be much... they might even let you watch, if you're interested in learning how.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would second the suggestion to consider replacing the brake pads. I started riding my 1995 Schwinn Moab last year after a number of years of non-use, and the brake pads were rock hard. Toss 'em and get Koolstop Eagle Claw II's if you've got canti's.

I'll agree with cleaning and repacking the hubs, if for not other reason than piece of mind, and preventing any damage from running them dry. Replacing cables and housing isn't a bad idea, but lubing them a bit may be all they need if they haven't seen much use.

I'm going through the same process right now getting my wife's Moab up and running, (it's the same vitage as mine).

Good luck.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Replace All Cables
Replace All Housing
Replace Brake pads
Clean & Relube headset
Clean & relube hubs
Check & clean / replace chain.

The grease in hubs will turn to lacquer as it dries out. Pull all the bearings, throw them in Kerosene, wash, regrease and replace.

I'll usually try and clean out shifters & derailleures, but most times just spraying some triflow and wiping off the crud is good enough.

Additionally, running some steel wool over the rim braking surface to take out burrs and clean old residue is not a bad idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.