Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chrome GT Vertigo that has been sitting in storage for years.
it needs a clean. It also needs tires. The original 20x1.7 GT gumwall Tires are shot.
I think the front crank is good, but I'm not 100% sure.
The brakes (which are those ones that grab on just one side and sorta pull from the other) look solid, but I was wondering if I could swap to like a cantilever or V-brake setup...
Also, the rims are sort of out of round. I was wondering if I should have them trued or if I should just replace them?
I also assume the chain probably should be replaced.
I have no idea where to source these parts, but I kinda want to up the tire size from a 1.7 to like a 2.1 or something to carry my fat ass.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Chapel said:
I have a chrome GT Vertigo that has been sitting in storage for years.
it needs a clean. It also needs tires. The original 20x1.7 GT gumwall Tires are shot.
I think the front crank is good, but I'm not 100% sure.
The brakes (which are those ones that grab on just one side and sorta pull from the other) look solid, but I was wondering if I could swap to like a cantilever or V-brake setup...
Also, the rims are sort of out of round. I was wondering if I should have them trued or if I should just replace them?
I also assume the chain probably should be replaced.
I have no idea where to source these parts, but I kinda want to up the tire size from a 1.7 to like a 2.1 or something to carry my fat ass.
You might want to use some crome polish to clean it.

You say the front crank is good, but what about the rear crank? Thats the important one. ;)

You probably have to use that type of brakes. I doubt the frame or fork has canti mounts.

You can probably just true the rims, unless they are REALLY out of round.

Unless the bike was ridden alot, like a few hundred miles, then the chain could probably just be cleaned and lubed.

2.1 tires might be a good idea. Most bike shops will have them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have new decals if you need them. The Vertigo was a tri moly version of the performer. They had a chromoly front triangle and a hitensile rear. That that valuable or desirable, but a good rider. I wouldn't put alot of money into it. Try to get a performer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I put some 20x1.9 Maxxis Hookworms (110PSI) on it with some new tubes and cleaned it up
It's a 1995 model based on the assembly sticker.

Also, just a quick question. I'm a heavy dude (280ish)
I inflated the tires to 100psi (as instructed) and rode it around the neighborhood (flat asphalt)
Then I put it away for the night
I wake up the next morning and the rear tire is COMPLETELY flat.
I removed the tire and tube and inspect it for leaks... I don't see any holes.
Wha!?

I'm gonna take the innertube out today, inflate it to about 50lbs and spray it with soap to see if it's leaking anywhere, but otherwise, it's impossible for air to just escape out of a brand new tube simply because of my weight... the front tire is fine.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Chapel said:
So, I put some 20x1.9 Maxxis Hookworms (110PSI) on it with some new tubes and cleaned it up
It's a 1995 model based on the assembly sticker.

Also, just a quick question. I'm a heavy dude (280ish)
I inflated the tires to 100psi (as instructed) and rode it around the neighborhood (flat asphalt)
Then I put it away for the night
I wake up the next morning and the rear tire is COMPLETELY flat.
I removed the tire and tube and inspect it for leaks... I don't see any holes.
Wha!?

I'm gonna take the innertube out today, inflate it to about 50lbs and spray it with soap to see if it's leaking anywhere, but otherwise, it's impossible for air to just escape out of a brand new tube simply because of my weight... the front tire is fine.
I'm not sure what caused the flat, but it wasn't because of your weight. Maybe the rimstrip is out of place and the tube got cut by the rim. Maybe a shard of broken glass or metal went through the tire.

Check the inside of the tire with your hand carefully to see if there is anything sharp in there.

When the tube is out of the tire, you will not be able to inflate it to 50 psi, you won't even be able to inflate it to 5 psi. Just inflate it till its about 2 or 2.5 inches in diameter then use the soap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.