Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a bike 2 weeks ago, and I've been riding the trails around the bay daily. I'm happy it's raining but I can't control my legs. I've already gone for a run today, thinking about swimming tonight, but I wanna ride.

I've already cleaned and adjusted the bike.

Any place I could ride during on a rainy day in the bay area, where riding wet trails isn't considered faux pas?

I could go for a road ride, but ever since I've moved to the bay area I really haven't enjoyed road riding.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
I got rid of my restless leg syndrome by getting divorced, but I think you have a different problem!

You could drive down to Fort Ord, since those trails are sandy.

Also, you're close to the Guadalupe River bike path, which you can connect to the Los Gatos Creek trail by going through Willow Glen (mostly on bike lanes). They're paved, but there is a bit of s/t mixed in.

Btw- Welcome to our fair land from a fellow Midwest (Cincy/N. KY) transplant! PM me when you're ready for a tour of the Promised Land (Santa Cruz).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha, I quit my job/crummy relationship and moved to the bay from the midwest in Dec, so I'm killing time and living on savings till school starts so it's not really a problem.

Fort Ord sounds good, I'm going to do a bit of reading about that place before going down.

Thanks for the heads up, I used to love riding my road bike in the rain back in the midwest, but it's way too urban out here.

·
Medium?
6,725 Posts
Not sure where you live, and I'm not a big fan of road riding, but this area has some pretty epic road riding opportunities if you look for them.

CA allows medication for RLS, and it works. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm over in Milpitas. I've been road riding in the sunol area, but I prefer mountain biking. I've only been riding over at Grant Ranch Park and Armesatrado (I tried mission peak but I was way too winded to enjoy myself). I'm thinking about driving down to Fort Ord either today or tomorrow. Besides the meetup.com groups, are there any bay area mtb clubs or group rides?

Hahaha, I think I'd rather let my RLS generate some wattage rather then dampen it down. :)

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I usually ride in Southern Marin. The trails down there are pretty rocky and sandy. Like, Bobcat Trail, Marincello, Tennessee Valley, etc. Not a lot of excitement on those fireroads, but it beats staying at home and websurfing while Charlie squats in the bush and gets stronger.

·
Medium?
6,725 Posts
From Milpitas: Calaveras, Felter, Sierra Rd or up to the top of Mt. Hamilton.

If you're feeling spunky you can make it to Skyline from Milpitas via a bunch of different route options, even if you had to, horror of horrors, drive over to the start in LG or Woodside.

Do a loop around the bottom of the bay via the Dumbarton Br and a bunch of bike trails along Palo Alto and Mountain View.

If you get to the end of the Guadalupe River Bike Tr in Alviso, you can ride all the way to Morgan Hill on bike trail except for about a 3 mile section down by Curtner/Tully Rd. If that's not enough, ride up to Henry Coe via E. Dunne Ave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Rain stopped, trail shredding time!

I've done Calaveras, Sierra but never the Mt. Hamilton climb. I still really don't like road cycling here. Mountain biking here is like road cycling in the midwest, not many people/cars and being in a non-urban environment.

I'm surprised the trails at Ed Levin park (and the surrounding hills) are so sub-par...

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,775 Posts
Hogan! (See my sig.) Perfect trails in the winter/wet.

Only a 2 hour drive, but you could stay over & shred the next day, too.

·
J-Flo
1,742 Posts
Marin Headlands and most of the Fort Ord/Laguna Seca area are fine to ride when it is raining. Sandy soil, excellent drainage. Oat Hill Mine is supposed to be great in the rain too if you like technical rocky punishment.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was in Marin Headlands this morning and it was as good as it gets. No standing water at all and almost tacky considering how loose it's been out there. Really pretty being around the coast on these sorts of days.

·
Autonomous
221 Posts
[I'm surprised the trails at Ed Levin park (and the surrounding hills) are so sub-par...[/QUOTE]
I'm in the North-East valley as well, and yep, Ed Levin has probably the worst trails in the bay area. It's too bad 'cos Ed Levin is close to home for me.
I'm a Grant Ranch regular, and while the trails south of Mt Hamilton road are usually closed while mudddy, the "North" trails will always remain open.

If you're thinking of riding any of the trails in the Santa Clara County parks system, there is a trail 'hotline' with open / closed parks information 408 355 2200, then press 7 for trail info.

ps don't forget our East Bay trails: Pleasanton Ridge; Mt Diablo area, etc. great rides there as well ( just hotter than hell in the summer!).

Welcome to the bay area!:cool:

·
Registered
444 Posts
North Bay: Mount Tam railroad grade or eldridge grade are both good rain rides. Great drainage when wet, but when its raining in town it is REALLY RAINING on Tam usually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts