Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been tons of threads on here with people wanting to know everyone elses RHR...not this one. I was keeping track of mine for awhile and then quit bothering.

I recently got sick and was wondering if I had been keeping track of my heart rate I would have noticed it being higher right before I got sick?

Also, it would seem I could choose whether to do hard or easy days based on my RHR as an indicator of overtraining.

Those out there that have tracked this during their training, is it meaningful and worth the trouble?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine is only one opinion but I learnt from this.

I've done without one for years but they are very good for diagnosis I think. I posted this in another spot on the site yesterday.

"Some years ago when I extensively used a heart rate monitor to train I also used it every morning to check my resting heart rate.

It was curiosity.... learning about my body.

Every day it was around 48-50, rare days 42-45 bpm.

One morning it was 65. I felt great.... no sniffles, no stress, no nothing.
I thought "What the?" Two days later I had a cold... a good one too.

I had the same thing a few months later as well. Same figure too... 65 bpm

It's not much of a test but it goes to show our heart and body know what's going on before we do. The thing is when we know in advance we can ease or stop training for a bit.

It's well worth using one just for that. and when money permits I'll be getting another."

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been wondering, do you have to be awake to test for your RHR? I find that waking up to my alarm spikes my HR before I can read it, would it work to wear a HRM to bed and have my girlfriend take a reading while I'm asleep? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
504 Posts
quikflip27 said:
I've been wondering, do you have to be awake to test for your RHR? I find that waking up to my alarm spikes my HR before I can read it, would it work to wear a HRM to bed and have my girlfriend take a reading while I'm asleep? Thanks in advance.
If I had a girlfriend and she started fiddling while I was asleep my heart rate would shift. lol

No you don't have to be awake.
But sitting in a chair relaxing straight out of bed will be pretty much the same.

I had an alarm like that once.:madmax: :mad: :madmax:
It caught me on a bad day once too often back when I used to have bad days.
It had a fatal accident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.