Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Resprayed my bike frame over the weekend to Flat Black. Turned out pretty well for my first home job.
Originally i wanted to just take the stickers/decals off, but they were under the clear coat and it was just a bit too tedious.

Before
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Bicycle wheel Crankset

After
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Crankset

Just need to add some stickers/decals to it. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
  • Sanding time - 6-7h
  • 2 x Primers
  • 2 x Top Coat
  • 2 x Clear Coats
Hope the paint job lasts a little while

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
80 grit is way to aggressive.. 120grit is course enough. You can even get away with 240grit. You also don't want to take an alloy bike back to alloy. Or you then need to etch prime again.

Clean it up, scuff it back to provide a key without taking it back to raw alloy then you can smash straight to topcoat layers and use the base layers as the primer.

Job done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
80 grit is way to aggressive.. 120grit is course enough. You can even get away with 240grit. You also don't want to take an alloy bike back to alloy. Or you then need to etch prime again.

Clean it up, scuff it back to provide a key without taking it back to raw alloy then you can smash straight to topcoat layers and use the base layers as the primer.

Job done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts