Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i haven't ridden a bike regularly since i was a kid, and i haven't started back yet. i want to start riding again, but i also want a project, so i thought i'd part out a bike and build it from the ground up. i've got my eyes on a 2004 Giant Yukon frame that i plan on repainting when i get it, but here's my question: I have very little knowledge of bikes but i'm pretty mechanincally inclined. Is there anywhere on the net that i can find a good resource for building a mountain bike. I pretty much know the basic components that I need, but just for my peace of mind i would like some sort of reference i can check back to as i'm building. after it's done i plan on having it tuned by my LBS, but i just want the satisfaction of building my own ride. Any help would be muuuuccchhh appreciated. and thanks in advance.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Sounds like you like your projects hands on. If you want to build a bike from frame up you will spend more money than buying a complete bike with the same components (barring having a bunch of stuff on hand which doesn't sound like your case). I'd say get busy with that search feature, you'll find plenty of helpful ideas and resources. A quick suggestion would be to read all you can online at parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com, and/or buy Zinn's Mountain Bike Maintenance book.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.