Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from a trip to new england and was blown away at the stuff at Highland mtb park out there. I've hit Trestle a number of times but never ventured out to Keystone, CB, Purg, Aspen, or Steamboat (or I guess Pajarito/Angel Fire or Jackson/Targhee either). Do any of them have black to double black tech trails? I'm not a high flying jumper so things like Banana Peel don't really have much appeal but I was wondering if we had much in the way of lift served tech in the area. I specifically say lift served because it's been a great way for the wife to hit the blues/greens and learn/progress while I go play on the bigger lines elsewhere, reconvene at the lift, chat about the ride, and repeat. Trestle has Trestle DH but it's only one trail, and as of last week was pretty blown out (although the extra dust added a layer of fun).

Pic attached of my favorite line from Highland on 'lunch lady'. Super fun roller, probably 15'-ish in height.

Plant Natural landscape Bedrock Land lot Tree

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
I really wish Vail would put some resources into Keystone. I like that better than Trestle. Feels more like what you’re looking for.

Not sure about the others, but subscribed.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
Keystone was significantly more tech and fun than Trestle for me. The thing I wonder about is if it's holding up and getting maintenance, if there's corps of enough riders to keep it going. Don't get me wrong, Trestle is fun in a mostly high-speed and big-air way and that's cool, but Keystone was more my style and type. I felt the same way at Whistler. The big jumps and tabletops are fun, but I like the tech stuff, the steep stuff, the stuff that ends in drops, etc. Whistler had a good mix. Keystone definitely has more of it than Trestle and more trails where I had to tell myself at the beginning "I'm going to kick this trail's ass", otherwise, the trail would have chewed me up and spit me out. Most of it is on the lower mountain. Keystone is kind of a reverse-grade mountain where the steepest stuff is near the bottom, the top stuff is flatter and less tech, although still some good stuff there. Just getting back from BC last week, they sure do like their steep rollers (like in your picture) and I'm down with that! In WA a lot of steep stuff on loam with lots of interspersed roots and drops and I'm down with that too!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I thought we could handle the gloom we'd already be in the PNW. With the terrain in the Rockies I'm really hoping there's something kicking around at a resort that we can hit on any given weekend. Sounds like Keystone is high on the list, heard good stuff on CB but never been in the bike park.

·
Registered
377 Posts
got the chance to ride Snowmass this summer while in CO for a few days, mostly groomed trails but there were a few more old school technical DHs (lift served that share starts w/blue/green trails). Animal Crackers I think? Maybe another one or two that aren't big air and berms. Good setup to ride with people of differing abilities, it was definitely fun for a day. Don't know that I'd make it a destination on its own though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
If I thought we could handle the gloom we'd already be in the PNW. With the terrain in the Rockies I'm really hoping there's something kicking around at a resort that we can hit on any given weekend. Sounds like Keystone is high on the list, heard good stuff on CB but never been in the bike park.
Yeah, its bad!
But seriously, there's some good chunk and tech in AZ and I'd assume in NM as well. I remember in AZ a lot of riders from CO would assure us they could handle the tech and it was often a few levels above what they had ever experienced. Not that it doesn't exist in CO, but you might have to work harder to find it. In the PNW they really seem to make an effort to cater to various ability levels, rather than multi-use hiking trails.
Sky Cloud Mountain Plant Plant community

Reactions: B. Rock and stripes

·
Registered
20,102 Posts
Are you talking about moving somewhere or just visiting? The PNW really has the best/most tech that I've seen so if you're just looking for a short visit then you can deal with overcast skies for a few days.

Deer Valley has a little tech terrain. Grand Targhee and Whitefish too. Tamarack in Idaho does also.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, its bad!
But seriously, there's some good chunk and tech in AZ and I'd assume in NM as well. I remember in AZ a lot of riders from CO would assure us they could handle the tech and it was often a few levels above what they had ever experienced. Not that it doesn't exist in CO, but you might have to work harder to find it. In the PNW they really seem to make an effort to cater to various ability levels, rather than multi-use hiking trails.
View attachment 1947242
For AZ I'm assuming you're talking about regular trails, yes? I wasn't aware of any lift served mtb in the state, although I can't say I looked super hard either.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
For AZ I'm assuming you're talking about regular trails, yes? I wasn't aware of any lift served mtb in the state, although I can't say I looked super hard either.
Trails that are shuttled.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it. Yes, even on the local trails you have to look kinda hard to get past what is a blue square-ish in the PNW (or apparently Highland), so it's not shocking some CO folks got in over their head there. Although that's even more reason for a local resort to have some gnarly tech to practice on...

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
How about Kicking Horse and Fernie? Oh wait, they're in BC. ;)

I do think you've got a good point (and observation).... most bike parks in the US cater to jumps and flow trails, and very few have legit, rowdy downhill singletrack trails. It's one reason why I haven't bothered riding the lifts in so long. I like to keep my wheels on the ground and go fast.

·
Just some guy
193 Posts
I’ve ridden Keystone, Deer Valley, Angel Fire, and Crested Butte. Keystone and Angel Fire are the most natural out of the four. I like the rough natural stuff, so I really enjoyed those two. My girlfriend prefers flowy green trails, she really loves Deer Valley and Crested Butte.

Crested Butte has some great stuff, they’re just small. If you’re in Crested Butte the back country trails are what you should be riding, especially trail 401. I absolutely love Crested Butte, but I would not go there just for the bike park.

·
Resident Gear Head
729 Posts
I'm surprised so many people here are talking about Keystone being great. I've ridden Highland, Killington, Duluth, Trestle, Crested Butte, Steamboat, Snowmass and Angel Fire and Keystone might be the worst of them all. I heard it was a more technical mountain and that's my style but overall it was a big fat meh from me. Yes they did have some more narrow and technical trails but it was nothing to write home about and their jump lines were terrible, horrible trail speed, awkward shaped and sized jumps that did not match the others or the trail (they are not known for being a jump mountain but still). Keystone has potential but right now it's not great. What they do have a lot of is wooden features and bridges.

I still think Trestle is the best bike park in Colorado. Trestle DH, Bear Arms, Boulevard, Search and Seizure, Double Jeopardy are all technical trails. They are not going to be a steep or slabby as trails on the east coast but that's a given.

To the OP Angel Fire has the most tech of any bike park around Colorado. It's steep chunky and loose.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.