Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fast sport, pobably stepping up to Cat 1 @ 150lbs

Last two seasons on the same wheelset> Stans crest rims, hope hubs, db spokes, al nipples w/ bontrager 29-1 x 2.00 tires on 2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite hardtail

New bike this year Trek Bicycle w/15mm front axle and 142x12 rear.

I am wanting to upgrade wheels (lighter w/ no big sacrifice in durability, they may be RDO wheels). I do prefer traditional spokes/nipples

thinking of:

1) same combo as above w/DT 240 hubs

2)Bontrager XXX TLR Disc 29 Bontrager: XXX TLR Disc 29 (Model #11445)

3)American Classic Race MTB RACE|27.5/29 TUBELESS

I am "kind of" limited by choices w/ shop I am riding for now
-Bontrager
-Handspun Wheels Handspun they do make Customs
-QBP catalog (American Classic and others)
-Cuctom build by Stan's

Any input/experience appreciated - thanks in advance!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Go for a set of Stans; they are made by Sun-Ringle. The hubs are good quality and are easy to service. The rims are just a little bit soft, but I am uses to Mavic rims that last forever, so take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go for a set of Stans; they are made by Sun-Ringle. The hubs are good quality and are easy to service. The rims are just a little bit soft, but I am uses to Mavic rims that last forever, so take that for what it's worth.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Thanks for reply.

Have you had good results with Stans hubs? If so, how long have you had them for?

I thought there was some durability problems with Stans hubs.

·
SPECIALizED
516 Posts
Thanks for reply.

Have you had good results with Stans hubs? If so, how long have you had them for?

I thought there was some durability problems with Stans hubs.
I've had two sets of Stans wheels and on both the rears the hubs failed. The aluminum hub adapter broke on both of them. Once replaced with a new one there was a little play in the wheel. I'm guessing once the hub flexed something else was damaged internally. These were both the HD330 hubs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd do the crests with dt240 hubs. Great hubs..especially with the 36t conversion. Not only does it give better engagement it shaves off a little more weight..like 10g or so.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The Stans hubs are Chosen...decent and light but nowhere near the quality and durability of the DT240 hubs.

The Bontrager wheels have the advantage of being a true UST spec tubeless wheelset. So setting up tubeless ready tires is a piece of cake. In fact, most Bontrager TLR tires can be run without sealant making tire changes a breeze. The rear hub uses DT internals and has a (currently) exclusive 54 point star ratchet. However if you intend to convert standard tires to tubeless, these aren't the best choice.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I bought an Arch Ex set with standard 3.30 hubs last year and currently have 1528 miles on them so far.

I am at least 200lbs geared up and both hubs have been flawless, very happy with them. If I could build up a Light Bicycle rear wheel I would like to use the 3.30 hub.

Now one problem I did have was with the weak QR skewers the wheels came with that couldn't clamp worth a damn which led to play in the hubs. Ever since I replaced them the wheels have been flawless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
If you were happy with your last Crest wheelset then definitely stick with those rims. They work great tubeless with lightweight tires.

The DT 240 hubs as mentioned by others are much better than Stan's 3.30s. DT hubs come with much bigger rear bearings that are also stainless. Then engagement system is better on the DT hubs and can be converted to 36 point or replaced if ever damaged. The DT hubs generally last forever and hold their value extremely well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts