Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the world of mtn bikes (I have not ridden in about 10 years). I have seen Santa Cruz bikes but know very little about them. From their website, it appears that the Chameleon is the bike that I need, although I am unable to determine a price range and I know next to nothing about the components.

My priced range is about $700. Does Santa Cruz offer a mtn bike for that price? My alternative is a Gary Fisher.

I am about 5' 7/5" tall w/a 29.5" inseam. One of the problems that I have had is finding a bike w/enough standover height.

My riding will not be too intense, just some off-road trails. I don't have the interest (or money) for a full suspension bike, only interested in hard tails.

·
a.k.a Slacker
535 Posts
If you've been on their website, you should also try the bike builder feature and that should tell you if you can buy a new chameleon in your price range.

However if you are new to MTB'ing you may want to look at the used market (my 2 cents). Just to get a feel for the type of bike you want without spending the big bux. A modern bike does tend to cost quite a bit more than it did 10 years ago.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You might be able to pick up a used Chameleon on ebay or craigslist if you look long and hard enough? its a fun bike :thumbsup: Cause the frame alone is 600$$$ for the Chameleon I found mine used with a Pike on the front for a grand.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
cduke123 said:
I am noticing the significant price increase! Santa Cruz bikes seem to be rather costly, much more than I am willing (or need) to spend. Thanks for the advice about Bike Builder.
Well, like the TV advertisements for BMW and Mercedes, they call themselves the "ultimate driving machine". Santa Cruz is usually a more boutique brand. Given that, beginners do ride them just like new drivers do drive BMW and Benz. But those that have been riding for a while will tell you that some brands do have their advantages. And Santa Cruz is one that is somewhat like that. hence the cost.

I dont ride a chameleon, but if I remember correctly, it's main advantage is that some people would set it up for dirt jumping one day, change a few component the next day, and go for a 5 hours epic ride. And it will perform nicely on both. Perhaps that is what the "Extra" cost will do for you. If you are more just looking for a bike to ride some simple trails with, the advantage of the GF will prob. be better components for the same price, b/c you are not paying for the versatility of the chameleon. The question would then be, do you need this "advantage" that the chameleon will offer you?, and are you willing to pay to have it b/c down the road a few years, you might be using it as it's intended use.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
check out randall scott

if you're just gettin back into it and do have a lotta scratch check this out:

http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-Warrior-5-0-Cross-Country?sc=19&category=56#

looks to be in your budget range, w/workhorse level parts, should last a long time. it may be a little heavier, but w/midgrade parts there's more material hence the weight. i don't work for them, but i did by an mkiii recently. for the money these complete bikes are hard to beat.

i've ridden and owned a lot of sc bikes (1st, 2nd gen heckler, blur 4x, nomad), owned a kona hoss when i was too cheap to buy a chameleon (the geo was pretty close to older chameleons), have owned an ibis mojo, turner 5 spot (tnt), and most recently an mkiii. marketing and brand loyalty have a lot to do w/peoples choices when buying bikes. the mkiii is one of my favorite bikes outta the lot and the price was right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.