Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested, I recently installed a RaceFace NW 32T chainring and went 1 X 10. Got a chance to ride it today and all I can say is WOW:). Dropped a pound from the weight of my bike, and although my legs are feeling it, I felt much more efficient on the trail (Did 18 miles on Backbone with 2400 feet of climbing). I kept my existing XT crank arm, 11/36 cassette and XTR shadow RD. This is a worthwhile upgrade and will definitely make me stronger.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Hey guys I have a 32t NW and wanted some input..I have 2 XT crank sets I can set it up on..a xt 785 2x10 or xt 780 3x10. Is there a benefit to using one over the other in regards to chain line? Also can I use stock bolts or do I have to order special bolts for mounting the NW ring?

Thanks for the info..

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Hey guys I have a 32t NW and wanted some input..I have 2 XT crank sets I can set it up on..a xt 785 2x10 or xt 780 3x10. Is there a benefit to using one over the other in regards to chain line? Also can I use stock bolts or do I have to order special bolts for mounting the NW ring?

Thanks for the info..
Adding my $0.02:

You'll get a better chain line setup using the 3x cranks. At least that's been the recommendation from pretty much most of the 1x converts.

And surprised to hear about needing shims for the 32t, not doubting they were needed, but typically they work fine. This may be one of the other drawbacks using a 2x crank set. Typically 3x crank sets have 32t middle rings. It's when you go below that tooth count that the problems start due to the crank arm spindle now sticking above the ring. The 30t Race Face n/w rings have a "stand off" self-threaded lug that spaces the ring inward off the crank arms toward the bb shell creating space for the chain and improving chain line even more.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
here is email from raceface regarding my above question..

That new RF Single n/w ring can be mounted to either of those cranks are both are 104 BCD cranks. You should not require any new hardware if you reuse the chainring bolts from your original set-up. Thanks for riding Race Face.

Without knowing the exact specs on the Shimano cranks it’s hard to say….but overall we would say there would be no difference as you ideally are mounting the single ring in the middle position. The 2x crank is the same spacing as a 3x crank – just minus the chainring mounting position for the ‘big’ ring. Let us know if you need further info on this. Thanks for riding Race Face

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
In looking at the attached pictures, it's safe to say that without spacers, my chain would hit the crank arms of my XT 2x10. To each his own I guess. I've had zero issues with this setup
Nice setup on your bike man! Yeah that is tight. Like I commented, wasn't saying the spacers weren't needed as your close up clearly shows. ;) I have my eye on those same cranks that have been sitting in a glass display of buddies bike shop for a while in 24/38t ring setup for a 2x config on a 650 ht I have. Hoping he'll give me an "ok, get them out of here" price at some point.

·
What gear are you running
1,625 Posts
...You'll get a better chain line setup using the 3x cranks. At least that's been the recommendation from pretty much most of the 1x converts...
Myself included - 3x cranks = better chainline because the middle ring is setup to be at the middle of the cassette (what you want) where as the 2x cranks are a compromise (big ring and small ring are aimed higher and lower of the center of the cassette. I have a 3x XT crankset, with all rings removed and a Race Face N/W 32T on the middle of the cranks and the chain is perfectly straight in the middle of the cassette. I can use the full range of the cassette with no issues at all (cross chaining is not bad at all in the lowest and highest gears). 2x will work, but just not optimal.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
here is email from raceface regarding my above question..

That new RF Single n/w ring can be mounted to either of those cranks are both are 104 BCD cranks. You should not require any new hardware if you reuse the chainring bolts from your original set-up. Thanks for riding Race Face.

Without knowing the exact specs on the Shimano cranks it's hard to say….but overall we would say there would be no difference as you ideally are mounting the single ring in the middle position. The 2x crank is the same spacing as a 3x crank - just minus the chainring mounting position for the 'big' ring. Let us know if you need further info on this. Thanks for riding Race Face
Ok, at the risk of being corrected, here's another couple cents:

My understanding is there 'is' a difference in ring placements between 2x/3x crank sets(using the Shimano styles as examples....) in relation to their positioning off the bb shell lets say. That way the 2 ring chain line centers up better with the cassette. Please be gentle with flaming to correct this if not the case. :mad:

**Edit: Argh, too late/slow typing, mtbdennis slipped in ahead of me to confirm!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.