Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I need to replace a rim that is cracked around the spokes. This is my bike: http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/whistler/2015 (Whistler 70)

I can't find any info on my current clincher rim (700C) for my 32mm tires. I'm looking to replace it with a rim that is "fast" on pavement and can handle well on dirt and gravel trails. I don't know much about rim profiles or rim technology, etc, so I'm looking for some suggestions on manufacturers of rims that perform well and aren't too costly. Also, any links to info on how to choose a rim would be helpful too! Thanks!

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
There are a lot of good rims out there, but changing one rim will not make a lot of difference in speed. It looks like you need something more durable. You also may want to look into tubeless if you haven't already. The relative weight of the rim is a decent indicator of how durable it is, but the build quality is just as important.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Not sure i'd put one of the $100 rims you guys are suggesting on that bike. Overkill.

The stock rim is an alex t26- like a 25$ rim. Nonetheless, i suspect the spokes were over tensioned and that caused the failure.

I'd go with a wtb ST i23 or i25. Nice sturdy rim that isn't too expensive. That, or just lace another t26 on to the old spokes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.