Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5th element still had the older style plastic eyelet bushings that finally failed. I've got some of the newer steel ones on the way. I'm hoping that there are not any fancy tools involved as I have one day to get it fixed before the Ouachita Challenge tour on Saturday.

Anyone ever changed them out on a Superlight?

· Gittyup!
529 Posts
Eltbee said:
My 5th element still had the older style plastic eyelet bushings that finally failed. I've got some of the newer steel ones on the way. I'm hoping that there are not any fancy tools involved as I have one day to get it fixed before the Ouachita Challenge tour on Saturday.

Anyone ever changed them out on a Superlight?
There is a specific tool for the job... can't remember the name though. Email Josh at SC and he'll be able to tell you. It's a real pain in the arse otherwise. I've yet to find a good way to get those suckers out. Some folks use a socket that's just under the interior diameter of the shock eyelet, but big enough that it sits on the outer edge of the bushing, and hammer away. Tough to keep the shock secure enough during the pounding for this to be real effective. I tried this method and it didn't work, but mine were wedged in solid. I've seen others make it work though.

One other thing I thought of was if you use the same socket method, but use a c-clamp to press it out. You'll just need to find a way to provide the clearance on the exiting side of the bushing to make this work. That might be tricky.

If anyone else has any other home-grown tricks, I'd love to hear them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.