Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 429, geared for XC looking to change to a 2x10 drivetrain. I will need new cranks, shifters, etc... Im lost knowing what size components I need.. Any advice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can do lower cost 2x10 switch with your same cranks, likely. Just change the rings and front derailleur adjustment. So you can start low cost with just a rear derailleur, rear shifter, rear cassette, chain. At least that's worked for me on other bikes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't re use my cranks as they are made for 3 front rings only. Age and terrain is the reason Im replacing it. Chain is stretched, teeth on all the cogs and front rings are worn, and the drivetrain was set up for more xc riding in Florida. Im running a 32 in the back

·
GONE
27,419 Posts
You can reuse your cranks set by removing the large ring and installing a chain guard there and then installing new rings in the small and middle ring positions. That's how you change a 3 ring crank into a 2 ring crank for cheap. The size of the small and middle rings you choose is dependent on what your terrain is like and your abilities.

Most FDs are comfortable switching up to 14 teeth in difference between the two chain rings. So, a 22/36 chain ring combo would be about as low/high as you can go.

You will lose some top end speed by switching to a double ring crank set so you need to consider this. Mine is 26/38. My old triple was 22/32/44. Pretty good spread in top end speed capability between a 38 tooth ring and a 44 tooth ring.

All big component companies make multiple versions of double ring crank sets in case you want to go with the fast and easy route.

I have my 2009 429 set up as a 2X9 (26/38 & 11-34) and it works great!

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,134 Posts
You may want to try 1x11. I was skeptical but I have to admit its nice but I can't comment regarding long term durability. My 2x10 was a XT 24/36 crank with the rest of the drivetrain consisting of SRAM. Can't go wrong with all Shimano or SRAM. For my 1x11 I have a 180mm X9 crank which I can run chain rings all the way down to 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
I prefer a converted triple crankset (36/22) over a dedicated double if chainline is equal.
On the ex triple the chainrings are more inboard.
As I'm using the smallest cassettecogs very rarely and mostly the middle to large cogs, the chain runs slightly less crooked in the smaller gears (especially on the large front ring).
This is personal though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.