Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals, I would like to replace my rear hub for a better and also louder one. I have spoke with a few bike shops and hear some mixed responses. A few have told me that I need to replace the rim cause it won’t stay true after assembly. Another has told me no problem just replacing the hub. I have a 141mm x 9mm qr. any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
I've done that many times. If the rim is in good condition now, it will be fine.

I think you need to get a boost hub and install QR end caps. Have a look at Hope if you want loud.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
The rim should stay true just fine. I would look at it though, if it has some dents and stuff in it, it might be worth while to get a new hoop while you're at it - after all, the hub is the expensive part. It might even be cheaper to buy a complete wheel than to have a hub laced into an old hoop, especially if you consider the cost of spokes and labor. Just stuff to think about.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Hi guys and gals, I would like to replace my rear hub for a better and also louder one. I have spoke with a few bike shops and hear some mixed responses. A few have told me that I need to replace the rim cause it won't stay true after assembly. Another has told me no problem just replacing the hub. I have a 141mm x 9mm qr. any ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,
Don't replace just the hub. I would do nothing, but if you can't resist the siren song of upgradeitis, replace the whole wheel.

-141x9mm is a weird OE budget response to all the through-axles. That's fine, but it indicates you have a budget-conscious bike build. Which is also fine. Bikes designed around a sharp budget won't have amazing hubs, but until a budget hub is problematic it's 99% as good as a fancy hub. And most riders won't have any problems with a budget hub. Err... i'm almost certain there's better places to spend your money. (i bet your bike came with a shitty fork, for example)

-It's reasonable to replace the rim. Why build a wheel with a cheapo rim and an expensive hub? Dumb. Also, reusing the spokes limits your hub choices and makes the wheel builder responsible for whatever BS the spokes were exposed to before he touched them.

-amusingly, the shop that tells you to abandon this endevour is probably the most experienced.

-the best hubs tend to be pretty quiet, along with the cheapest ones. Noisy hubs tend to fall in the middle. There's reasons for this and it isn't a hard-fast rule, but it's interesting.

IMHO. You do you!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Without knowing all the details, I'd echo what others have said. If the rim is true now, it'll likely be true with a new hub... unless whoever is lacing it doesn't know what they're doing. And you can always replace the rim down the road if you need or want to.

But like scottzg said... is it worth it? Or can you build a better wheel altogether with a few more dollars?

I personally like Hope hubs. Rebuildable, solid engagement, etc. They are loud. DT Swiss is my personal second choice. Not that loud, but do buzz. Not sure if either have (or are adaptable for) 141x9 though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
Noisy hubs for racing: If you can hear the hub, you should be pedaling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.