Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both right (3) and left (9) Shimano Deore LX (ML 570) shifters on my old but good Rocky Mountain Hammer are slipping/not catching and need replacement.

Can I use any 3 x 9 shifters? Which type/model will emulate best?
Easy to find shifters with cables already attached?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Usually it's easy to fix those type of shifters. Use a spray degreaser (e.g. wd-40) with one of those narrow spray hoses and flush the inside of the shift lever liberally, then work the lever back and forth until it starts working again. Works more times than not.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Shifters definitely wear out, though its worth trying JBWelds fix if you don't want to spend any money.

Shimano Deore or SLX shifters for 3x9 are very inexpensive these days... I'm sure you can find a set for about $50. Probably no need to replace the cable housing, but replace the cables for sure.

There are a ton of other off-brand shifter sets that will also work just fine...better to stick with Shimano though.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Shifters definitely wear out, though its worth trying JBWelds fix if you don't want to spend any money.

For sure they can wear out but not as often as you might think, we do the shifter flush & lube practically on a daily basis in the shop and 9/10 times have them working exactly as new within a few minutes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Usually it's easy to fix those type of shifters. Use a spray degreaser (e.g. wd-40) with one of those narrow spray hoses and flush the inside of the shift lever liberally, then work the lever back and forth until it starts working again. Works more times than not.
Gonna give this a try with my wifes 3x9 shifters 🤞

1 - 6 of 6 Posts