Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the Crankset on my bike and am not sure what is available for the square taper 8 speed. Currently have a Shimano FC-M737 with 22t-32t-42t and 175mm arms. I was looking at the FC-M410 will this work? Any better options?

Thanks for any help.

·
GONE
26,843 Posts
My wife's bike had a square taper BB/crankset. She had a simple fall over crash which bent the crankset. I was shocked!

I replaced it with a better Shimano crankset (Hollowtech II) and an external BB. This was an inexpensive upgrade that is clearly better, stronger, more stable. It also dropped around 100 grams of weight off the bike which was a welcome surprize.

Perhaps you should consider an upgrade since it's time to replace?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
What's wrong with your current?

If it's less than $89 worth of bottom bracket and chainrings, I'd probably just replace whatever's broken and call it good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

My current bottom bracket works fine, it is that the teeth on my chainrings,(especially the large and middle ones) are all worn down and I am getting chain slippage.

I am not wanting to spend more than $100 for the replacement and I found the FC-M410 Crankset for $32, so if it will work then it would be inexpensive allowing me to upgrade my rear suspension.

If I were going to change out the bottom bracket too what would be my options? It looks like I currently have a Shimano BB-UN72 107mm spindle length and BC 1.37 x 68. How hard are these to replace without specialized tools?

Thanks again.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
hysticali said:
If I were going to change out the bottom bracket too what would be my options? It looks like I currently have a Shimano BB-UN72 107mm spindle length and BC 1.37 x 68. How hard are these to replace without specialized tools?

Thanks again.
Close to impossible, you need the proper tools for the job.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I like Shimano's chain rings the best, so I'd say go to your LBS and figure out if current XT rings will fit your crankset properly. If so, and if it costs less than $90 to replace the big and middle ring, do that. Otherwise, get the LX crank. I'd let the LBS remove all the old stuff, but I think it's good to own the tool to get an external cup on and off, so you might buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.