Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As recommended by many, I replaced the crown and dropout bolts on my 04 Slider Plus. The stock ones were so easy to round out. A couple were almost goners.

So here's my question. I bought black steel bolts. Should I have bought stainless steel ones? Will the black steel ones rust eventually? The hardware store does have the stainless ones which have much bigger heads than the stock ones. So they don't look like they're as easy to round. Thoughts, recommendations :confused:

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
They might rust a little eventually. But the black oxide coating provides a reasonable amount of protection which you can help with a little oil.

I wouldn't worry about it, the bolts you have are stronger and harder to round out than 304 stainless ones.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
I'm usin' th' black ones too.

Mine have rusted in the hex opening, 5 creek crossin's on my daily ride. They seem fine, I need to replace the ones in the crowns too.

·
Registered
896 Posts
SpuTTer said:
I use the black ones too on my sherman, havent had any rust so far... much nicer than stock.
Ok, Im glad this thread popped up. Today I stripped one of the 3mm axle pinch bolt heads on my slider. I want to make sure I get a stronger bolt when I manage to get the old bolt out, (if I ever do) What material are the stock bolts made out of? I assume steel but they seem way too soft for steel. Also, do you guys have any advice about how I should remove my stripped bolt? Im having the darndest time getting the bolt out. I heard that the 05 shermans will have 4mm pinch bolts, do you think I could get them for my 03 Sherman? I emailed manitou but they are really slow at replying, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WheelieMan said:
Ok, Im glad this thread popped up. Today I stripped one of the 3mm axle pinch bolt heads on my slider. I want to make sure I get a stronger bolt when I manage to get the old bolt out, (if I ever do) What material are the stock bolts made out of? I assume steel but they seem way too soft for steel. Also, do you guys have any advice about how I should remove my stripped bolt? Im having the darndest time getting the bolt out. I heard that the 05 shermans will have 4mm pinch bolts, do you think I could get them for my 03 Sherman? I emailed manitou but they are really slow at replying, thanks for your help!
Stock bolts are stainless steel. Very soft. More so because the bolt heads are so shallow your allen wrench can't grip the bolt head that well. If you bolt is far gone, only thing I can think of is picking up one of those bolt extractors from Sears. Works with your power drill. Planning on picking one up for future use. Or call your LBS to see if they can take it out for you.

Check your hardware store for available bolts. The bolts I got are from Home Depot. 5mm x 20mm for the dropouts. 6mm x 20mm for the crowns. And the bolt heads are much deeper and uses one allen head size size bigger. 4mm allen head for the dropouts, 5mm allen head for the crowns. Just take a sample bolt down there and compare them. It's not too hard to match 'em up. Paid little under $5 for one whole set :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
Agreed. Matches the fork much better! And I bought extras anyway :D
Wow, deffinately a great upgrade. Everyone who has a sherman or slider should replace the stock bolts. I just switched out mine, and I no longer have to worry about overtightening them. I wish I would have known about the upgrade a long time ago.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Stock bolt won't stick to a magnet.

Very soft. Way too soft. Somebody must've "given them to Manitou." I can't beleive they put them out on the market. If you go to a LIS, (Local Industrial Supply), you can get a box of 100 count of bolts for about $7.00. Life time supply. I hooked up my LBS w/about 30-40 of'em for anyone else that complains. Plenty left fer me!!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts