Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a set of 25mm EX1501 wheels laying around that I want to upgrade to 30mm. I am planning on replacing the 25mm rims, which are XM421s with new stickers, with the wider XM481s. Dimensions are slightly different. The stock rim(XM421) has a depth of 20mm, while the XM481 has a depth of 21mm.

Not being a wheelbuilder myself, does a 1mm difference in rim depth necessitate the need for new spokes? Just trying to price this out in my head.

And for anyone wondering why I want to keep the hubs, the EX1501 hubs are high end, straight pull DT Swiss 240s with new stickers.

·
Andrew
197 Posts
You should be fine to go with your existing spokes/nipples on that. 1mm is not a huge difference. I'm not a wheel 'builder' but I've laced up a few sets for myself and friends. With both being DT XM Series hoops I think you'll be good to go.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I would be leery of this

1 mm deeper rim makes the ERD 2mm less. That might make your spokes too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be leery of this

1 mm deeper rim makes the ERD 2mm less. That might make your spokes too long.

I'll consult the mechanic at my LBS. He builds all the custom wheels for the local guys. I'd prefer to not have to change the spokes out since they're still in great condition. But if I do have to replace them, I'll just get the bladed Sapim CX-Sprints. My other wheelsets have bladed spokes and I've found them to be more resistant to bending(from foreign objects like sticks and rocks) compared to rounded spokes.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Your call on the spokes, but I’ve been told by several pro wheel builders that bladed spokes are as axially strong as round but not resistant to rock strikes and the ‘aero’ effect is pretty much wasted. They’re crazy expensive for not really much benefit, and possibly a detriment in robustness if your area has lots of loose rocks that get kicked up into the wheels.

One shop here in Phoenix wont even build with blades spokes unless you insist, and afterwards don’t guarantee the ‘health’ of the wheel the way they do with round ones, usually offering a tune-up after a month and again in 6-9, replacing any spoke that breaks in under a year.

There’s a few highly reputable eBay sellers that sell spokes cheap.
Yojimbo’s Garage sells black Sapim race spokes for $0.95 each. Silver are even less.

Personally, this is what I’d do:
I’d get the new rim in hand, find 2 spokes from a LBS and actually measure the ERD using Sheldon Brown’s ‘opposing spokes’ method. Then I’d plug those into a (few different) spoke calculators and go by that.

The other option is to re-use everything, but buy enough nipple washers to cover every spoke and be prepared to use them as a safety net.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Local wheel builder made it work with spokes. Both wheels had spokes 1mm too long on just one side. Rims came with new nipples and everything came out true and perfectly tensioned. Very happy with how my wheelset turned out. Even had him replace the bearings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.