1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm betting, yes.

Funny thing is, I stole the one with a handle out of my old Enduro to put on my new Enduro that doesn't have a handle :lol:
Funny thing is, I bought a new Spesh thru-axle with handle (S170200009-AXL) to replace my non-handle one, but decided to stick with my non-handle one.

This one piqued my interest earlier this week...just need to get the correct measurements for the current axle. The one on my 2019 Fuse creaks a bunch, and I find I have to tighten it more than any other I have had.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com...ed/products/wolf-axle-for-12mm-rear-thru-axle
Mine didn't creak but did come loose often on my 2019 Fuse. Specialized and shop said safe to really crank it down, which I have done and does help a lot. What I also do now is mark with white crayon after I tighten, so can easily check if it's slowly coming lose.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7, Specialized Levo
1,705 Posts
Mine didn't creak but did come loose often on my 2019 Fuse. Specialized and shop said safe to really crank it down, which I have done and does help a lot. What I also do now is mark with white crayon after I tighten, so can easily check if it's slowly coming lose.
Thanks for that insight, glad to know its just not only me. Last night was the 2nd time in the last couple of months that I had a creak/pop that was aggravated by aggressive pedaling that turned out to be the rear axle just being a "little" loose. With my SWAT tool I was able to get a little bit of turn out of it on the trail which quieted it down enough to make the ride bearable, but when I got home I pulled it (bone dry), lubed it with some slick honey, and used a t-handle allen wrench to really torque it down.

But man, it was one of those rides where I couldn't figure it out; I just had Eagle installed so I was sure it was that, or maybe it was my Race Face crankset with the OneUp Switch ring (either the CR bolts or the cinch interface, a lot going on down there), or hell maybe it was my seatpost or saddle but I could replicate it when standing! Then I felt like it may have been coming from the bars...but no, just my ears playing tricks on me. Was the rear axle all along.

Hoping to be back to quiet bliss on the next ride, because I hate miscellaneous noises.

EDIT: kevin_sbay: did they give you a specific torque value for the rear axle?

·
Registered
634 Posts
For what it is worth, Rider Care replied to my email in a few hours (that's rare), and told me it should be torqued to 15nm.
Thank. Sorry for not seeing your EDIT question until now.
Interestingly, 15nm is what came to mind when I saw your question, and I see it jibes with what you heard above. I can't recall exactly where I got the 15nm though.

FYI, I don't have a torque wrench, but give it a strong crank with my hand with a 7 or 8 inch allen wrench. Earlier on, my allen wrench was too short.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have been getting a mysterious creaking noise from my '19 Stumpy ST Alloy. I've greased the flip chip and even taken the rear hub apart... now it turns out it might just be the rear axle?? I had really tightened the crap out of it though so I'd ruled it out as the problem.
Anyway, I've just torqued the axle to 15nm and I'll get out for a ride as soon as I can.
Hopefully it has sorted the noise. The rest of the bike is quiet that the slightest little sound from any part of it drives me crazy.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I too have been getting a mysterious creaking noise from my '19 Stumpy ST Alloy. I've greased the flip chip and even taken the rear hub apart... now it turns out it might just be the rear axle?? I had really tightened the crap out of it though so I'd ruled it out as the problem.
Anyway, I've just torqued the axle to 15nm and I'll get out for a ride as soon as I can.
Hopefully it has sorted the noise. The rest of the bike is quiet that the slightest little sound from any part of it drives me crazy.
If still creaks, remember to check/be sure the threads on thru-axle are (lightly) greased.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorted! It WAS the rear axle!!

After advice from this forum I greased it up and torqued it to about 10nm, I had read it was supposed to be 15nm, but that just seemed crazy excessive.

Been out for a test ride today and under heavy pedaling it's super quiet.

All I can hear now are my old knees creaking.

Happy days.

Apologies for kind of hijacking the thread too. Did the OP get an answer to the question?
I think the axle they listed looks appropriate, but maybe fire the website a quick email to be super sure??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.