Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '03 Dawg Dee Lux with a Fox Float R rear shock? I do all types of riding from freeride to mild downhill to city riding. I blew out the rebound adjustment valve at Killington Mtn. last year and had to have it rebuilt for $90. I plan on buying a new downhill bike next year so I will have a trail bike and a downhill bike. For the time being if I was to take my bike downhill again is it even feasible to replace my air shock with a coil shock or no. Would I benefit from it at all for downhill? It was just a though.

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts
kona

I replaced the fox float r on my 2006 Kona dawg frame with a fox vanilla r. I love the switch, as it feels much more plush. I am going to keep this shock on for the foreseeable future. My dawg uses a 6.5 x 1.5...pretty easy to find a vanilla used at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
(Original post was from 2005, but I already replied....)

Used coil shock would obviously be the best. You might be able to find a Romic for dirt cheap. I loved my romic for a long time, in fact it's still on my friends 03 Dawg. Romics offer a great ride & relatively cheap rebuild of around $50 from Romic. Fox's are spendy to rebuild, especially the vanilla's.

I would get a good shock for your Dawg and ride it to death again. Keep the dawg as a fun xc ride You might find that luggin around a big ol DH bike isnt that much fun when an everyday non dh ride is close at hand.

Just speaking from personal experience, DH is way fun but beats the hell out of bikes.

We both DH'd for a few years and have found that the DH bikes now just sit on the garage waiting to be sold. However we ride the dawgs all the time. Best bang for the buck bike out there.

Also you need to consider, you get no $ for your Float R. If you were happy with the way it rode prior to failing then $75 isnt bad to get it back in action with a fresh rebuild rather than buying a used shock with an unkown past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.