Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new set of pads and my Shimanos and I want to know if it's difficult to replace the pads. Are there any online instructions or should I just have my LBS do it?

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
it is very easy to do...before removing the pads, push the pistons back by putting a screwdriver between the old pads and twisting it to widen the gap until the pads are against the caliper "wall", then remove the pin that holds the pads, remove old pads..insert old pads and pin.... and go break the pads in properly

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
It's not too hard to replace the pads themselves its just getting the rotors back in and centered is my problem right now.

I have Hope Mono M4s and Mono Minis. I've replaced the stock (going on 3 years without wearing down too much) Hope pads with some new pads from DiscoBrakes.com that are Hope compatible. I pushed the pistons back using the above mentioned technique, installed the new pads and now I am unable to even get the rotor back between the pads:madmax: Looks like this is going to be one for Reeds Cycles to handle.

I know that Hope brakes are set for very little tolerance with spacing between the pads and the rotor, but I wouldn't think that trying to replace pads would be this hard. Any suggestions from anyone with Hope pad replacement issues?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
If the system has not been topped off after the pads wore (overfilling) or if there are no issues with overfilling, the resi cover does not need to be removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts