Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I replace the oil on the Fox RL 80mm (2012), should I have the air spring inflated or empty? Does it matter? I had the issue of the oil migrating past the seal and filling the air chamber. I got the replacement rubber seal for the foam ring. I did some reading and *apparently* it matters if the air springs is inflated or not..I can't see where this matters.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
No need for pressure in the air spring.
Can't pressurize the air spring with the top cap off when you are adding FLOAT Fluid on top of the seal head.
Pressure in the air spring can make it difficult to secure the foot nut on the lowers when doing bath oil/seal change.
Not sure what oil you are talking about replacing, but whether it's FLOAT fluid or leg bath oil, no air pressure is needed.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You can replace the bath oil (dropping the lowers) with air in or out of the chamber. If you are going in to change the Float air spring seal, you'll have to let the pressure out of the chamber unless you like loud popping sounds and oil on your ceiling (or wall, or face).

So after you replace the Float air spring seal and put the Float fluid in (along with the sammy ring), install the top cap, tighten it up and pressurize. Just make sure your damper rod is all the way topped-out and be careful when re-installing the lowers. I usually leave the air spring pressurized when doing basic lowers service.

mk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts