Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly four years I think it's time to replace my long suffering Manitou Sherman Breakout+ forks.

Recently I put some large gauges in the stantions when I binned it in a boulder field....and they have developed a creak on frontal impacts which is worrying. I think it's time to retire them before something terrible happens when my face hits the handlebars when they break.

After a trip to TFtuned three years ago to fix a few issues these forks have been absolutely fantastic.

Big forks, big drops, big mountains, big bike. I will never go back to tripple clamps and the frame is 1.5inch headtube... Travel is 170mm and I never use the 130mm lockdown. I'm looking at Rockshox Totems, Marzocchi 66's and Manitou Travis, all in 180mm length and coil sprung... I don't do air.
My frame can handle the extra length and I'm sure I can handle the extra weight - the Shermans are very light for the travel.

Any comments, suggestions or reviews from the mtbr posse?

(Please don't bother me with any childish Manitou are rubbish etc... constructive comments and real world experience of these forks please)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well I've heard that manitou has got there act turned around so I say dance with who brung ya and get another manitou. The price is hard to beat and I've been loving the performance of my nixon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Having ridden for two years on a Sherman Flick +, I can say I'm happy about my switch back to Marzocchi. I now ride a '06 66 Light with no regrets. My Sherman was certainly light and very stiff, and I would by no means subscribe to blanket statements about Manitou, but it never felt dialed right. No preload ability was definitely a problem, and it would always seem to blow through the middle of the travel too easily. I tried the medium, stiff and extra stiff springs to no avail. love to tinker with things and get them dialed but I just couldn't get this fork to handle how I wanted. It never bottomed harshly so that was nice. Also, there were manufacturing problems with tolerances on the hex-loc axle and mine developed play. Tried different wheels, etc to no avail. Seals got leaky real fast too.

Anyway this fork had me dreaming about my old Z1 FR and how sweet it was - easy to maintain and great progressive damping at low or high speed. When I finally got sick of the wheel play I picked up the 66 and it was like night and day over the Sherman. From other people's reports it seems like the 06 Marzocchi line is where it's at so I'd go that route (If you can deal with 170mm rather than 180mm travel)

I must say that the Flick + was TPC damping rather than TPC+, which I hear is much better. I would like to try that out someday, but my 66 is so plush and reliable I don't see myself ever riding anything else.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The only thing I will point out is that Marz has had horrible quality lately. I know I would certainly avoid the 55 series, but I haven't heard one way or another if the 66 series is affected by the problems.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've heard that too and it seems true with most of their 08 line. If OP is okay with used though, the 06 and 07 coil 66 line are just awesome, reliable forks. I've ridden vf2's and I think they're great forks too. (people talk bad about them but I think it's just cuz they aren't top of the line.) Just make sure some clydesdale dude didn't beat the crap out of it.

06 in particular though - seems like Marz really had their $hit together for that line. At least for coil - the air forks seem to have plenty of problems...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've just replaced my Sherm's with a Totem Solo Air. Very impressed so far. Similar axle to crown as the Sherm's and only 0.3 lbs heavier. Maxle 360 system is awesome. Off to the Alps in a week for a full workout. I did see some great prices on Totem coils in the UK.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting comment there thanks.

I've also head about problems with 08 Marzocchi which is off putting, buying second hand forks is not a route I like the idea of. There is a lot at stake due to some of the riding I do so I would rather know the full history of the kit I ride. Also - to keep the 1.5inch forks would need to be 07 or 08. Not to fussed about bargains - I'm happy to pay for the right piece of kit if it works... I also have a bad habit of needing to warranty things!

Totems... I have a set of Pike teams on my hardtail which are an OK fork but I struggle to set them up - they can either take the big hits or be plush over the little stuff, they cannot be set to handle both which is a pain. The "Motion control "damper is pretty basic whereas the Totem has "Mission Control" which is meant to be better... I believe the PUSH race system can fix this... but it's a lot of money to spend on a 4 year old fork on my silly hardtail. I'd rather get the big bike sorted...

Travis are tempting but I think Totems are pulling ahead... problems with Marzocchi quality is nudging them to the bottom of the list which is a shame.

·
Thunder Chunky
1,752 Posts
I used to run shermans too and then I switched over to the 08 66rc3 and havent had a problem yet with mine. I have been hearing about problems with these for awhile so when I was at keystone today(lots of people were running them up there) I asked at least 5 or 6 people who were running the 66rc3s if they had any problems and theres was 1 guy who said he had a problem but marzocchi took care of it and he hasnt had a problem since. I think their 08 stuff is good (as far as damping etc the rc3 is absolutely amazing, definetly better than their older damping systems) but since they just switched to taiwan for manufacturing there seems to be some bad forks that are getting through quality control.

To be honest I dont think you can go wrong with any of them, manitou is getting their sh!t together and still have amamzing customer service if you need anything and although marzocchi seems to not have their sh!t together as well this year they always seem to take care of all the problems. Rock shox seem to have fixed most of their problems with the totem too and the only thing that bugs me is that the sram factory is about 30min away from me yet I cant take my stuff to them to get it serviced, I still have to go through my lbs.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
I have a set of a pair of marzocchi 06 66s on my turner 6 packs. I think these forks are the hot ticket, and the 07s were also pretty good. With these years you can get a pair of a set of forks that have coil springs and the ETA lock-down function, and have a forks that works great for some climbs and for all around riding. In 08 they lost this function. 99% of the people that have had "problems" have had it with either the 55 TST models or the air-sprung 66 SL, but usually the coil models (RC3) are rock solid dependable. I have a rockshox as well right now, but I have concerns as to how well the lubrication system works over time (as opposed to a marzocchi-open bath system with free-flowing oil). The totems and lyrics are somewhat enticing, but I'd like the ability to change oil height and progression as you can with marzocchi. In any case, you couldn't pry my set of pairs of marzocchi 66 light+eta (RC2)s from my pairs of dead hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.