Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Vitamin Bike Added
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my lock-ons and bought some standard grips (just with different ergonomics to try). I can't get them on in any kind of satisfactory manner. I tried the hairspray thing but the stuff never seems to dry and the grip just keeps spinning on the bars. I tried alcohol but that won't seem to dry either, even with inserting a few zip ties to help airflow between the grips and the bars to help dry it out. Placing the grips on dry just doesn't work as I can't get em on. Anyone have any tips for placing standard grips with something that can actually dry? Any way to get them on without some kind of product/additive (heating etc)? I've given 12 hours of drying time to all the things I've tried so far with no luck.

Thanks in advance?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I've always had success using a little squirt of windex. It seems to evaporate pretty well. I just did this a week ago. No problem.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
rubbing alcohol, but just a little bit.

To remove grips, I slide a spoke underneath the grip an inch or so and pour rubbing alcohol down the spoke and let gravity pull the alcohol through as I twist it free. usually after a second or two, even fairly stubborn grips break right free.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I've found hairspray to work very well. The cheaper the better. Extra-hold from the dollar store. Don't use too much.

·
Vitamin Bike Added
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always had success using a little squirt of windex. It seems to evaporate pretty well. I just did this a week ago. No problem.
Worked like a charm. Already dry. You just earned some rep my friend! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
You suggest i should buy an air compressor to fit my grip? Any sugestion for an air compressor under 10$?

Rubbing alcool work fine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This might sound crazy but I used to use gasoline on my quad grips. Plug the hole of one end, pour a little in, swish it around for a few seconds, and the grip will slide right on. It's my theory that the gas softens the grip up just enough to get it to slide on and once it evaporates in a few minutes, the grip is as good as glued. I always used grip wire to be safe.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I removed my lock-ons and bought some standard grips (just with different ergonomics to try). I can't get them on in any kind of satisfactory manner. I tried the hairspray thing but the stuff never seems to dry and the grip just keeps spinning on the bars. I tried alcohol but that won't seem to dry either, even with inserting a few zip ties to help airflow between the grips and the bars to help dry it out. Placing the grips on dry just doesn't work as I can't get em on. Anyone have any tips for placing standard grips with something that can actually dry? Any way to get them on without some kind of product/additive (heating etc)? I've given 12 hours of drying time to all the things I've tried so far with no luck.

Thanks in advance?
Aloha,

Yes, shops and a lot of us use compressors. That allows us to get the grips on and off when we need to. Unfortunately, not a lot of people own compressors. I wish I had a simple answer for that one.

Another trick though this is a pretty much a one time only deal. Get some double stick masking tape. Wrap some on to the bars. Now plug the hole in the grip, totally get the inside of the grip covered with paint thinner, gas, something that can make the sticky on the tape not be sticky for a little while. After you're sure the grip's coated on the inside, pour this stuff all over the sticky outsides of the tape on your handle bar. Now work semi quick and slid the grip on. Let it sit over night as the solvent will eventually evaporate and your grip will be stuck on to the bars.

This is how golf club grips are held on to the golf clubs.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
don't be such a tight wad and let your shop mech'a'nic in stall then for you and give the guy some beer money!!!!! look at all the time you've wasted over a 20 dollar pair'o grips! get a grip will ya?????

·
Chubby Chaser
664 Posts
I say befoH! I say again!!

Grip glue..... you can find it at most motorcycle dealerships/shops.... $1 for a small tube. Wipe a bit on the end of the handle bars and immediately slide the grips in. It'll go in nice and smooth.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
You suggest i should buy an air compressor to fit my grip? Any sugestion for an air compressor under 10$?

Rubbing alcool work fine.

I suggest you use one, if you buy one and how much you do or don't pay for it is none of my concern.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts