Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to replace the chainring on my Cannondale Trail 4 hardtail. I just really got started on doin most of my own fixes and replacements in the last year so Im still figuring things out...

I tried to order a new chainring, assuming what i had was pretty common, i got a wolf tooth 30t 104 BCD...well as soon as I opened it and held it up to the existing chainring I could see it was way off on the bolts. So started digging and turns out these FSA are a totally different jacked up size BCD(82mm)..And you cant get the original chainring, they are sold out on every site I that had them listed including FSA themselves...So just like trying to upgrade a PC these days, you end up having to replace 3-5 parts to upgrade one...

I dont have a problem upgrading the crankset to be able to use the wolf tooth chainring as they are in the mix of possible issues I am currently experiencing. I have a creak that happens when I peddle, in the saddle or not, cranking hard or just easily cruising along the creak comes and goes throughout the ride. I replaced my chain as it was at about 2500 miles and stretched. I thought my issue was fixed as it was constant before, but now it comes and goes. I have tightened the cranks, bolts holding chainring, peddles, etc , but it still will happen off and on while riding. In checking everything I see the chainring is getting the whole shark tooth look and also a tooth will just barely click each rotation , like the chain slightly sticks coming off that tooth. So that is why I want to replace the chainring...

So I guess now what I need to know is should I replace the BB along with the crankset? Do I even have an option of keeping the existing BB if I replace with Say Shimano XT cranks? I just want to be sure I get everything I need in one swoop if humanly possible. If you have suggestions or advice I would appreciate it. If it helps here is my bike specs from their website.

Thanks

Best UseMountain Biking
Mountain Bike StyleTrail
Bike Frame MaterialAluminum
FrameAluminum
Bike SuspensionFront Suspension
ForkRockShox 30 Silver TK 29/27.5 in., rebound, 1-1/8 in., coil
Fork Travel100 millimeters
CranksetFSA Gamma Pro MegaExo, 30t
Bottom BracketFSA MegaExo
ShiftersShimano SLX, 11-speed
Rear DerailleurShimano SLX, 11-speed Shadow Plus
Rear CogsSunRace 11 - 42, 11-speed
Number of Gears11
Brake TypeHydraulic Disc Brake
BrakesS: Shimano M315, 160/160mm
M: Shimano M315, 180/160mm
L: Shimano M315, 180/160mm
XL: Shimano M315, 180/160mm
Brake LeversShimano M315
RimsWTB STX TCS i23m 32-hole, tubeless ready
Front HubFormula
Rear HubCustom BOOST QR Formula
Wheel SizeS: 27.5 inches
M: 29 inches
L: 29 inches
XL: 29 inches
TiresWTB Ranger Comp 27.5/29x2.25 in. DNA Compound
Tire Width2.25 inches
Handlebar ShapeFlat Bar
HandlebarCannondale C3 riser, alloy, 4mm upsweep, 9mm backsweep, 760 x 15mm
StemCannondale C3, 6061 alloy
Seat PostCannondale C4, 6061 alloy, 31.6 x 350mm
SaddleCannondale Stage 3
PedalsCannondale platform
HeadsetSealed semi-integrated, 1-1/8 in. reducer
ChainKMC X11, 11-speed

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.