Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
imteachin said:
Anyone ever replaced the fork themself? I am replacing a Manitou SX with a SID. Tips, advice?
Pretty simple really. The hardest part IMO is getting the crown race off the old fork. You also need to cut the steerer tube (if it isn't already cut) which can be tricky if you don't have the right tools (and if you don't might want to take it to a shop to cut it for you).

Basically loosen the stem. Remove the cap on the stem. Pull the stem off the steerer tube. Smack the steerer with a rubber mallet or something like that and the fork will drop drop out of the headtube. The crown race will come off with the fork, and you'll have to remove it.

You'll need to get a star nut installed in your new fork if it doesn't have one in it. Park sells a tool that helps you install this. Install the crown race and put the fork in the head tube, install the stem and you're done.

Check out Park Tool's website for detailed instructions.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
All that's easiest to do it you have a stand. If you don't want to use the starnut, Hope makes a device that works effectively called the Hed Doctor. Either you have the shop install the starnut, you buy the tool and do it yourself, or you buy one of those things. I wouldn't recommend installing to starnut w/o the tool, but you can - good luck.

Don't forget about the brakes, those have to be removed.

If you don't want to cut he steer tube, you can cover it with spacers, if you can deal with the extra spacing either high or low.

The last fork I got, I had the shop cut it for me and put in a starnut. Took 2 min, tops. Installed it at home.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
mikeT's faq

imteachin said:
Anyone ever replaced the fork themself? I am replacing a Manitou SX with a SID. Tips, advice?
I use a pipe cutter or dremel to cut the new steerer. Just make sure it's not too short, I usually leave enough extra for 2-3 spacers to dial in a new fork & bike feel (especially if changing travel).
length of 1 1/4" PVC works well to install new crown race.
MikeT's faq's gotcha covered
http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#FHQ4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.