Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I serviced my 08 120mm F-series RL off my 08 stumpy yesterday. Lost my fox packet somewhere and wanted to ride. I has plenty of shock oil around so filled air chamber with 3cc of oil instead of fox stuff.
After doing the rod mod and getting more travel out of this fork it has performed quite well. Today then ride was even better...the fork was much faster and I actually had to back off 3 clicks and decrease pressure. I'm sold on this little find...anyone else already doing this. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
I've been doing this for quite some time. The thicker float fluid is expensive and tough to get - normal fork/shock oil is a great substitute and doesn't leak through to the lowers. Think about it: if it did, you'd be losing air like crazy.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I thought about picking up some gear oil, but buying a huge bottle just to use 5cc, such a waste.
Good to know about the float fluid in the air chamber.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sold on using a lighter weight oil now....80w or fox fluid is never going back in again. Shock works faster, smoother.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Lighter oil won't seal as well, and I have a hard time seeing it make much difference on how smooth the fork is. The smoother action is much more likely from just the fork being overhauled.

·
Registered
558 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Lighter oil won't seal as well, and I have a hard time seeing it make much difference on how smooth the fork is. The smoother action is much more likely from just the fork being overhauled.
Oil doesn't make the seal. It lubricates the seal and reduces wear on them. I agree that the smoothness is probably from the maintenance. Gear oil, although it is the same 'thickness' has a great deal of additives (they make it stinky) that are not required inside your fork. They are safe for the rubber, plastic and aluminum inside a fork as all these materials are inside transmissions but some oils may include additives to cause seal swell. These are used to reduce leaks in transmissions due to seal wear. They will make your fork feel tighter after they are absorbed by the seals and o-rings. Regular, synthetic or non-detergent motor oil is cheap and perfect for locations in forks that do not use the oil for damping. i.e.: on top of air pistons, semi bath and open bath where there is not damper.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
myarmisonfire said:
Oil doesn't make the seal. It lubricates the seal and reduces wear on them.
Try running it without oil and see how quickly your pressure drops. The oil helps keep the seal air tight, along with lubricating and reducing wear.

myarmisonfire said:
Gear oil, although it is the same 'thickness' has a great deal of additives (they make it stinky) that are not required inside your fork...but some oils may include additives to cause seal swell. These are used to reduce leaks in transmissions due to seal wear. They will make your fork feel tighter after they are absorbed by the seals and o-rings.
No. Sorry, you're just wrong on this. 80w gear oil won't make your seals swell, it won't make your fork run tighter. There are a LOT of people on here running 80w gear oil, I and all my friends have run 80w gear oil for years, and no one has reported one problem with it. Please stop recycling oil myths.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had no issues using gear oil on both shock/forks wherever I need an oil that needs to hang around a bit (i.e. a good thick oil, no use for a damping system, but good for air chambers/fork lowers).

A thin oil should work its way past worn seals faster than a thick oil, which is something to bare in mind, as you could end up with the oil shifting through into other chambers (e.g. from pos to neg on an air shock).

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've serviced forks for years and will say it's not feeling this way because of a servicing.
All I can say is... you need to try it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
larlev said:
I've serviced forks for years and will say it's not feeling this way because of a servicing.
I have.

And I honestly didnt notice anything at all. How many times have you serviced your particular fork? Before you go making assumptions like you have, I suggest switching back to gear oil or float fluid so that you REALLY CAN be sure that the fork oil is causing your new experience. I have a feeling that you might be surprised. Many things could cause a fork to "loosen" up after the first one or two (or more) rebuilds. Fork bushings can be tight from the factory and require some break in. Seals can require some use before feeling nice and smooth.

There are many other factors you might not be aware of. I have personally switched between gear oil and fork oil on a VERY well used (and maintained) fox Float. I noticed nothing. I can tell a difference between Slick Honey and RocknRoll Super Slick in the wipers. Slick honey will feel smoother but the RocknRoll lasts a bit longer. So I dont think its because I am out of touch with my bike.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like what I found with this...no assumptions here. Bike is an 08 not my first rodeo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
larlev said:
I've used 5w/10w/15w fork oil before now, though can't say I noticed anything particlulary different with the way they felt afterwards. Still I've tended to settle on using the thicker gear oil over these as it's not so easily leaked (e.g. through my less-than-perfect fork wiper seals), and feel more comfortable having it stick around bushings and internal surfaces longer than a thin oil would. I've tried the same with some shock units, too.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
bad mechanic said:
No. Sorry, you're just wrong on this. 80w gear oil won't make your seals swell, it won't make your fork run tighter. There are a LOT of people on here running 80w gear oil, I and all my friends have run 80w gear oil for years, and no one has reported one problem with it. Please stop recycling oil myths.
No kidding...these kind of myths persist based solely on ignorance:rolleyes:

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He didn't say 80w would swell seals...he said "some" oils have additives that are used for leaks that could swell. Unless I'm reading his post wrong.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Berkley said:
I've been doing this for quite some time. The thicker float fluid is expensive and tough to get - normal fork/shock oil is a great substitute and doesn't leak through to the lowers. Think about it: if it did, you'd be losing air like crazy.
How does $2 sound for 5cc of lube?
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id37.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts