Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2013 Specialized Hardrock Disc 26". I have decided to replace my small and large chainrings with a set of BBG bashguards for a 1x8 setup. I have screws like these holding my chainrings together (The photo is not my propety): https://www.flickr.com/photos/dno1967b/10347682885/in/photostream/ . They are very shallow (hard to insert an allen key) and and do not have the usual pit on the other side of the chainrings to insert a chainring-bolt-tool. Can I get some advice on what I can use to take them off so I could install Bashguards? Could it even be possible that they are actually rivets? All help is greatly appreciated, thank you :)

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
Can't use that crankset those r rivets u gotta replace it before anything else can be done

And I hope that crankset u pictured isn't what came in ur bike that looks like a WalMart all steel crank.... But the bolt style, seen it on entry lvl, they are actually rivets, so can't do anything besides change the crankset to one with replaceable rings.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
By the time you go through all that and buy everything u need to try and make it work which slim chance it will. Could pay for a Shimano acera crank, $45, that has the proper spider with replaceable rings, chainring bolts, etc and will mount right up to your bike. What your trying to do will require rivets drilled, holes then drilled to proper size for chainring bolts. Then you have to get chainring bolts with nuts in right length, and full set of spacers for either side. Or buy crankset and the bashguards you need, install and done. Even make special guards that fit where the small ring mounts so very simple matter to do. Not to mention will be much more reliable and much stronger.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts