Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you KNOW when it's time to replace these? Mine are about a year old on all of them. Bike runs fine, no problems, no grinding, creaking, skipping etc etc....only noticeable thing is some wearing on some teeth on the crankset, but it shifts fine....if it ain't broken, don't fix it?

thanks

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Shwaa said:
How do you KNOW when it's time to replace these? Mine are about a year old on all of them. Bike runs fine, no problems, no grinding, creaking, skipping etc etc....only noticeable thing is some wearing on some teeth on the crankset, but it shifts fine....if it ain't broken, don't fix it?
How many miles on it?
Are you sure your crank teeth are worn? Some of the teeth are different lengths to help shift the chain.

If everything is operating fine, then you shouldn't need to replace anything. The only thing you need to check is your chain wear. Unless you put on major miles or always use a very dirty chain it shouldn't be a problem. Do a search on chain wear, you'll find plenty of threads.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
For chain wear: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
For BB: When facing your bike from the side, grab the crank arm and try to move it away, and towards you. It you feel some play, you should consider replacing it soon. However, if it is not creaking, and runs silently, it is not urgent.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Start with a simple chain check tool. Park makes one. I replace the chain once it fits inside the .75 wear mark. The cassettes will last longer and I will replace them once they start skipping. Usually once a year. The chainrings I replace once I start to get chainsuck or a tooth is broken. The chainrings tend to be the last item to get replaced because they are expensive and hard to find unless you are running XT or XT compatable or LX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts