Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
so i went to my LBS today to pick up a couple of things and i asked the guy about putting grease on new cables before you install them....he said that, that was a bad idea as it collects more dust and dirt that way....is this true because i have heard and seen a couple of other bike mechanics put grease on cables?
any direction on this would be great

Cheers

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
DMR For Life said:
hey
so i went to my LBS today to pick up a couple of things and i asked the guy about putting grease on new cables before you install them....he said that, that was a bad idea as it collects more dust and dirt that way....is this true because i have heard and seen a couple of other bike mechanics put grease on cables?
any direction on this would be great
Grease on cables is a bad idea. Initially they'll be smooth, but as the grease gunks up with dirt, it'll become sludge. I use lined housing and no lube on my cables. Stays smooth and easy to clean.
If anything you could use a "dry" chain wax lube.

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tlg said:
Grease on cables is a bad idea. Initially they'll be smooth, but as the grease gunks up with dirt, it'll become sludge. I use lined housing and no lube on my cables. Stays smooth and easy to clean.
If anything you could use a "dry" chain wax lube.
ok so best just to put them in dry without any kind of lube

thanks just needed a second opinion

·
Live 2 Ride
6,185 Posts
When I put new cables on I shoot a little bit of tri-flow in the housings. I use the wet formula. I have never had a problem with junk build up. ;)

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I've had only bad luck with grease and oils in the long run, although many swear by it.

Try a dry aerosol: Pyroil Silicone Lubricant, Boeshield T9, McLube Sailkote, etc. They can be applied by shoving the little red tube that attaches to the spray head direclty into the housing, then spray until it drips out the other end. Give it a few minutes to dry before inserting the cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.