Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002.5 (7" travel, 8"rotors) Bullit that I use for trailriding, light crosscountry, light freeriding, and some jumping.It is, for me, a true all around bike. Although it is a little flexy, it is light enough to do it all (except downhilling). I plan to replace it with a 2007 Highline and I would like to be able to do everything I did on the Bullit. Will this be a mistake? Depending on the build, I think the Highline will be heavier. Do you think it will be too heavy for an all around bike? It will have a Marzocchi 66 ETA fork. Does anyone have a Highline in the mid 30 lb range?

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
The lightest I was able to build my small highline was 36lbs and that required a dhx air rear shock, van 36, sub 1000 gram tires, xc tubes, and I have a wtb race dh wheelset that is really light. None of my other parts are "light".

With the 66 figure another couple pounds at least, and I can't run single plys without using dh tubes. You will be going faster and bigger on the highline so why would you want light parts on there anyway?

I built mine up light just for grins since I had the parts but to be rideable it ends up around 40 pounds.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
D.B said:
I have a 2002.5 (7" travel, 8"rotors) Bullit that I use for trailriding, light crosscountry, light freeriding, and some jumping.It is, for me, a true all around bike. Although it is a little flexy, it is light enough to do it all (except downhilling). I plan to replace it with a 2007 Highline and I would like to be able to do everything I did on the Bullit. Will this be a mistake? Depending on the build, I think the Highline will be heavier. Do you think it will be too heavy for an all around bike? It will have a Marzocchi 66 ETA fork. Does anyone have a Highline in the mid 30 lb range?
While I cant deny the Bullit has some 'yucky' wiggle in the back end through things like off camber rough sections, its not a big negative.

And Bullits have been effectively used for DH including racing since the dawn of time, Very tough and very strong - Bullits have hit the biggest drops with aplomb and still roll strong.

If you're not doing hardcore riding - the Bullit is already overkill, why go to a slacker/lower bike with more travel?

That out of the way - the Highline is an excellent FR/DH choice and can certainly be used for the applications you described so long as you aren averse to the wieght. Otherwise I would recommend somethong like an SX Trail or Nomad -- plent tough, plenty of travel, stiffer rear then bullit and more all around in application.

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
airwreck said:
The lightest I was able to build my small highline was 36lbs and that required a dhx air rear shock, van 36, sub 1000 gram tires, xc tubes, and I have a wtb race dh wheelset that is really light. None of my other parts are "light".

With the 66 figure another couple pounds at least, and I can't run single plys without using dh tubes. You will be going faster and bigger on the highline so why would you want light parts on there anyway?

I built mine up light just for grins since I had the parts but to be rideable it ends up around 40 pounds.
a 66RC2x is ~1lb more than a VAN, not 'a couple'. Rock an SL ATA and get the same weight and an extra 20mm travel....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Huck Banzai said:
While I cant deny the Bullit has some 'yucky' wiggle in the back end through things like off camber rough sections, its not a big negative.

And Bullits have been effectively used for DH including racing since the dawn of time, Very tough and very strong - Bullits have hit the biggest drops with aplomb and still roll strong.

If you're not doing hardcore riding - the Bullit is already overkill, why go to a slacker/lower bike with more travel?

That out of the way - the Highline is an excellent FR/DH choice and can certainly be used for the applications you described so long as you aren averse to the wieght. Otherwise I would recommend somethong like an SX Trail or Nomad -- plent tough, plenty of travel, stiffer rear then bullit and more all around in application.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Everyone here is pretty much saying the same thing. "I am looking at the wrong type of bike for all around riding". I think deep down I knew that, but my DH bike is a DHR. I love the bike and Turner's customer service can't be matched. I guess I thought I could get a bike similar to my DHR but with the versatility of a trail bike in the Highline.
I don't know if I could handle pedaling a slack angled 36-40lb bike around. Do they really pedal as well as everyone says, or do they just pedal well for a big drop bike. Being how the Bullit treated me so well I'm sure the Nomad would be an excellent choice but I kind of want to be loyal to Turner.
Thanks again for all the suggestions

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just on Turner website

:D Turner has their 2007 lineup on their website. Even if the Highline is too heavy or slack or overkill and even if it just sits in my cellar because I'm too weak to pedal a 40lb bike around. I going to buy it just so I can stare at it all day!:eekster:

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
a 66RC2x is ~1lb more than a VAN, not 'a couple'. Rock an SL ATA and get the same weight and an extra 20mm travel....
sorry for the bad info, I weighed them once but don't remember, the SL is heavier than the 36.

D.B said:
I don't know if I could handle pedaling a slack angled 36-40lb bike around. Do they really pedal as well as everyone says, or do they just pedal well for a big drop bike.
light tires and wheels will help the most, and you'll have two front chainrings also. As long as you aren't in a hurry it's no big deal. I never think about how my bike is to pedal up hill because my mind is on the line that I'm getting to the top of and I set my bike up to work best for using gravity, not fighting it. But maybe it is a good pedaler and that's why I don't have to think about it :cool:.

·
Registered
168 Posts
to stay with Turner...

You should really consider an RFX. I've got an o5 pack that is my trail bike and its a great rig. I built it up with a Z-1 and King 819's; it comes in at around 32-33 lbs. Comfortable enough for all day, and strong enough for decent drops, its a really versatile bike. Check the Turner board, there are alot of people riding these bikes with different set ups. I've taken mine on 20+ mile day long rides, and set it up heavier for the lifts. Coming from a single pivot, the rear end was a night and day difference. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
airwreck said:
sorry for the bad info, I weighed them once but don't remember, the SL is heavier than the 36.

light tires and wheels will help the most, and you'll have two front chainrings also. As long as you aren't in a hurry it's no big deal. I never think about how my bike is to pedal up hill because my mind is on the line that I'm getting to the top of and I set my bike up to work best for using gravity, not fighting it. But maybe it is a good pedaler and that's why I don't have to think about it :cool:.
I also have the WTB DH wheels. They came stock on my Bullit. When I felt how light they were I didn't think they would last a week. They're still going strong. Those wheels are probably a big reason why the Bullit pedals so well.
I finally weighed my Bullit. It comes in at 37lbs. By the way it handled I assumed it was much lighter. So maybe the Highline won't be so much different. By the way, does anyone know the HA of a 2002-2003 Bullit. It has a 130mm Z1 fork.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
D.B said:
I also have the WTB DH wheels. They came stock on my Bullit. When I felt how light they were I didn't think they would last a week. They're still going strong. Those wheels are probably a big reason why the Bullit pedals so well.
I finally weighed my Bullit. It comes in at 37lbs. By the way it handled I assumed it was much lighter. So maybe the Highline won't be so much different. By the way, does anyone know the HA of a 2002-2003 Bullit. It has a 130mm Z1 fork.
The HL frame is only a little over a lb heavier than the Bullit frame, and IMHO the HL pedals pretty good.

The Bullit's HA is probably around 68 degrees with that fork, and 8.5 i2i shock, and the shock shuttle forward.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Beware that unlike many manufacturers Turner does not lie about their weights to make it seem like the frame is lighter than it is. I got my small 06 Highline with dhx-coil on a two different scales and it was barely weighing in at 9.6lbs without the rear axle. The 07 may be a few ounces heavier due to the thinner chainstays that were shipped on the 06 models but it's still very close to the weight of the bullit. Probably within a pound. And yes the new 07 model setup with a single crown fork that can be locked and/or locked down will climb great. My 06 doesn't climb great due to the 888 on the front but the one I rode at IB was so much better in that area it wasn't even funny.
Here's a pic of mine and one of the demo bike. I rode the small demo bike not the one pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shanedawg said:
Beware that unlike many manufacturers Turner does not lie about their weights to make it seem like the frame is lighter than it is. I got my small 06 Highline with dhx-coil on a two different scales and it was barely weighing in at 9.6lbs without the rear axle. The 07 may be a few ounces heavier due to the thinner chainstays that were shipped on the 06 models but it's still very close to the weight of the bullit. Probably within a pound. And yes the new 07 model setup with a single crown fork that can be locked and/or locked down will climb great. My 06 doesn't climb great due to the 888 on the front but the one I rode at IB was so much better in that area it wasn't even funny.
Here's a pic of mine and one of the demo bike. I rode the small demo bike not the one pictured.
Thanks for the input shanedawg. I think my mind was made up, but you just made it easier. I will be going for a small 07 highline.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
D.B said:
Thanks for the input shanedawg. I think my mind was made up, but you just made it easier. I will be going for a small 07 highline.
:thumbsup:

I love my Highline... I don't think I'll be getting a new bike for quite some time...

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
D.B said:
how tall are you? It looks like they shrank the 07's a bit, I will likely sell my small '06 and replace it with the smaller 07. I'm 5-4.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
airwreck said:
how tall are you? It looks like they shrank the 07's a bit, I will likely sell my small '06 and replace it with the smaller 07. I'm 5-4.
I'm 5' 6". Right in the middle between small and medium. Same with the DHR. I'm going to go with the small for both the DHR and Highline

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.