Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 03 diamondback topenga with something possibly lighter and w/ a better fork (has a rockshox judy tt). the bike will be used on sidewalks most of the time but i do hit some pretty rough trails a few times a year. (i've done the mountain parts of the monarch crest trail in colorado). anyway, sometimes i'll be on some pretty rough terrain. what would you guys suggest for the price range of 4-6 hundred? i definately want something better if i buy something new.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another ?

what about going the rout of building my own bike by slowly gathering parts (frame, fork, shifters, etc...). i'm really not in much of a hurry, would it make more sense jusat buying a whole new bike or building one up?

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
Well, for 400-600 your not going to get anything thats significantly better. Yes, you will probably go up a level or two on the drivetrain and in other areas but chances are you are still goign to be stuck with a very low end fork.

I'm not sure of the specifics of your bike, but if you can't shell out 1k for a new bike you might as well upgrade to some higher end core components instead of buying a new bike with low end components. I'd start with the fork and the wheels. Those are the two things that can make the biggest difference out on the trails. Next thing would be the brakes and then the drivetrain components.

As far as building up, I don't see any reason to get a new frame. I'd use your current frame and do what I recomended above. If you do want to go with building up from a frame you might as well just save your money and buy all your parts at once. No sense in dragging it out too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice!

i was thinking of just doing that... whould the frame be worth keeping for what i need it? i guess it probably would.

as far as upgrading components, you said to start with the fork, the current fork is a RockShox Judy 100 TT, i have read and was told numerous times that that is crap. What would you suggest i upgrade to? what is it going to cost to upgrade it? i don't want to upgrade too crazy, you know? i don't want a one component to be worth more than the entire bike.

I bought the bike used and at the LBS they told me that i had some kind of brake upgrade, The brand is TEKTRO they are not V-shaped brakes, but not disk. the rear brake pads are a lot bigger than the front and are red in color.
thanks again, i really appreciate the help!:thumbsup:

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
jvbronco said:
thanks for the advice!

i was thinking of just doing that... whould the frame be worth keeping for what i need it? i guess it probably would.

as far as upgrading components, you said to start with the fork, the current fork is a RockShox Judy 100 TT, i have read and was told numerous times that that is crap. What would you suggest i upgrade to? what is it going to cost to upgrade it? i don't want to upgrade too crazy, you know? i don't want a one component to be worth more than the entire bike.

I bought the bike used and at the LBS they told me that i had some kind of brake upgrade, The brand is TEKTRO they are not V-shaped brakes, but not disk. the rear brake pads are a lot bigger than the front and are red in color.
thanks again, i really appreciate the help!:thumbsup:
The fork is a good place to start. I'd look at a 2005 Manitou Minute. There are some very good delas around on these right now. I recently got a new Minute 1:00 for 210.00 shipped on ebay.

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=921
http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1046

I think that frame will eb good enough to do what you want it to do. Stick with the frame, you can always upgrade it later.

Wheels are also a good upgrade because rotational can make a big difference in how a bke feels. Take a look aroudn the deals forum and see if theres anything posted.

Here is something I found in a quick search... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7248008876&category=58087

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you all so much!:thumbsup:
I'll definately take everything into consideratiohn.
a question about the wheels, how would i know what will make my bike ride better? is it in the size? width? or just what the wheels are made of?

·
Riding a Rig.
1,156 Posts
jvbronco said:
thank you all so much!:thumbsup:
I'll definately take everything into consideratiohn.
a question about the wheels, how would i know what will make my bike ride better? is it in the size? width? or just what the wheels are made of?
I'd reccomend you look for something that is goign to be reasonably light. The rotatonal wieght on the bike is what makes the big difference as far as climbing etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.