Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my Oakley Half Jackets with persimmon lens. I loved these sunglasses, they fit my face well and the pesimmon lens worked well in the shade and in the sun. Oakley lens' also have a knack for filtering out light so that everything is more defined. I got these sunglasses for a very nice discount.

Since i lost these relatively new sunglasses, my wife said I can't spend much on my replacement pair. Can anybody recommend a pair of sunglasses I can use when I ride? The most important criteria for me is the lens, I want something similiar to my persimmon lens.I ride mostly shaded singletrack with occasional jaunts in unshaded, areas. I hope to spend around $50. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
bike buster
1,197 Posts
I just got a pair of Spy Scoop HS' after snapping the frame of my Oakley Minutes in half. They are awesome. They fit better than the Oakleys. I also paid 20% of what I did for the Oakleys thanks to a nice sale at nofear.com. Their best feature is the vents on the outside that keep the lenses from fogging. I snagged them on clearance for $20. You might be able to find them under $50 on eBay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
stripes said:
I have a relatively used set of Oakley half jackets I won't be wearing anymore (I still use my M Frames). I'll let 'em go for $50. PM me if yer interested.
That's a deal for the OP. I use my half-jackets for all things sporty. I have polarized (possibly persimmon - redish hue?) lenses and I'm going to get the high contrast orange and or yellow for shade riding as I couldn't really see much on the trail and DVille with my current lenses. They did save my eyes from a get off and all the dust, so I still wore them.

I don't have an alternate to offer as I love my half jackets :D

·
bike buster
1,197 Posts
The lenses on the black/black Scoops would probably be too dark. I think they come in different colors. Orange, grey, etc. I ride with the black lenses and don't have a problem, though. The Ryders are another good suggestion. I got a pair of their glasses from PricePoint and was impressed with them for the price. The frames felt pretty cheap in comparison to the Oakley Minutes and Spy Scoops, though. To be expected for 1/3 or 1/2 the MSRP of the more expensive brands.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice review on the Ryders. What local shops sell them? I'd like to try those out before I buy. Do they come with non-automatically adjusting lens?

Any local shops that sell the Scoops?

I'm a try before I buy kinda guy. Apparently I'm a poet too.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.