Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at replacing the stem and handlebars on my bike. I can't seem to figure out the degree measurements that companys are using to come up with. My stem comes off the headset at approximate 45 degree angle upwards. I don't see any stems out there advertising anything near that? They seem to be either 6 degrees or over 100 degrees?
All the websites I see tend to deal with roadbike instead of MTB?

Whats the magic?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Keep in mind that your head tube angle on a MTB is usually somewhere in the 69*-71* range, so a stem with a 0* rise will actually be tilted back 19*-21*.

Stems are also rated two ways, either starting at 0* or at 90* (more common for road stems)...which is the same. So a 10* stem may also be advertised as a 100* stem.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Can you measure/estimate the angle of the stem using the head tube as a base? How much does the stem to be off from being perpendicular to the head tube of the frame?

Second question: What is the ultimate goal? How do you want to change the reach/your position on the bike?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a little dark in garage but here is the current stem.

I am not looking to change the dimensions as I am very comfortable on the bike now. I am getting some wider handlebars and figured I might as well get a nice new stem to go with it since the OEM stem is a big ugly hunk of metal.

·
Registered
629 Posts
looks like you'd be fine getting any rise stem you feel comfortable width...my bike came stock with a 120mm 6 degree rise i believe. when i replaced, my stem i put on a 90mm 10 degree rise.. the shorter stem takes a bit away from its climbing abilities but helps on the downhills... id say get something like +/- 10* or less...then mess around with your spacers or reverse the stem to get it comfortable.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
BKiller Fantom said:
Its a little dark in garage but here is the current stem.

I am not looking to change the dimensions as I am very comfortable on the bike now. I am getting some wider handlebars and figured I might as well get a nice new stem to go with it since the OEM stem is a big ugly hunk of metal.
There's also a relationship between stem length/rise and the width of your bars, but there's not a lot of magic in a stem other than where it positions the bars you use; your current stem doesn't look too unusual even though that is one horrible photo. You can go lighter or prettier, but if you're changing bar width to wider you might also consider shortening your stem if you like your current position (and with that rise you have now, and keep the same relative bar position, that might be difficult)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.