Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Tricky question... I was about to say anything 7.875"X2" will fit in there... But that only works with the 5" rockers Titus made for 7.875"X2" shocks like the Fox Float and the 5th Element.

But the TALAS shock has oddball measurements.8.25"X2.25" in the longest position I think...

Take measurements of it in the MIDDLE position and if they are 7.875"X2" or even 8"X2", then you can use a 7.875"X2".

Now the shock... almost anything NOT piggyback will fit well. Only exceptions are some Swingers that have offset valves (not at 12 or 3 o'clock of the shock). Other than that, I've used a Float, a Roco, a 5th Element and a Romic... the Romic needs the rockers spaced out, though.

My bike is a TALAS Switchblade with 5" rockers for the 5th Element... so not entirely the same, but very close.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep the fully extended Talas is like 8.25. So to properly convert to a regular 7.875x2" shock I kinda need to swap out my rockers? That sucks. I wonder if Titus even has rockers to sell me. I sent them an email and they have yet to reply.

The middle position on the talas shock is like 8" and the low position is like 7.75" Seams like is I use a 7.875x2" shock I will loose most of my travel. Is that correct?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Maida7 said:
Yep the fully extended Talas is like 8.25. So to properly convert to a regular 7.875x2" shock I kinda need to swap out my rockers? That sucks. I wonder if Titus even has rockers to sell me. I sent them an email and they have yet to reply.
They have some for OLDER SB's (not TALAS ones).

Maida7 said:
Seams like is I use a 7.875x2" shock I will loose most of my travel. Is that correct?
Mmmmh... not really.

The TALAS is 8.25" X 2.25"... the "exposed" shaft of the shock is what determines its actual extended length.

At middle, it's like 8" indeed... but the shaft is also 2" long and uses 2" of travel. So, a perfect replacement would be a Romic 8"X2" (or 2.25"). They were that odd size.

7.875" X 2" is barely 3mm (that's 1/8") shorter. If you like the geometry and travel in the middle position, then you can use a 7.875" X 2". Try with a beaten old one first.

Or... send a 8.5" X 2.5" (very common size, used on the EG) shock to Push and make them to shorten one in 0.25" (1/4") travel at the shaft.... problem solved. But remember that with non TALAS shocks, you're stuck in just one travel position.

Use the one that suits you best most of the time or for the most restricting of your riding conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.