Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall a number of threads saying that hope pads suck and that there was consensus about a better alternative. Can't find the threads though . . . . can someone point me to the threads or suggest some different pads?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have had no issues with the Hope pads. They might take a while to bed, but after that they are great.

If you really do not want to use them, alternatives include Jagwire and Brake Authority - both good.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nah, they are fine so far. Still waiting on them to fully bed in, but I notice a difference with each ride.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm happy with Goodridge sintered (G-star) pads for my Tech M4s. Much much better than the stock organic pads which didn't work well for me on the front brake (on the rear they work fine though).
They aren't the cheapest pads available though. I think some day I may give some cheaper pads a try, like those from discobrakes.com, superstar components, etc.

The Goodridge pads, however, have a really thick layer of friction material, about 25% more than most other pads (same total thickness, but the copper plate is about 0.5 mm thinner than others). They also wear fairly slowly (including muddy conditions), so they may turn out cost effective in the end.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the better, I am hoping (no pun intended).
Yes, definitely . . . a fresh bleed also helped. I can now lock up the rear tire instantly and I need to actually stiffen up my fork a bit as the brake dive has gotten really bad (which is a good thing!)

I am starting to wonder though if perhaps I should have gotten an M4 for the rear too. I notice that the X2 begins to pop/grind when it gets real hot (it sounds like pads hitting rotor spokes), which happens pretty regularly even on relatively simple descents.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am starting to wonder though if perhaps I should have gotten an M4 for the rear too. I notice that the X2 begins to pop/grind when it gets real hot (it sounds like pads hitting rotor spokes), which happens pretty regularly even on relatively simple descents.
Which rotors are you using? Floating may help to minimize the expansion and noise (I am guessing on expansion leading to the rotor arms being hit).

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which rotors are you using? Floating may help to minimize the expansion and noise (I am guessing on expansion leading to the rotor arms being hit).
Already using floating rotors. 183 in front and 160 in back. I am thinking of switching the back to 183 as well and either upping the front to 203 or leaving it as is. I like having the stronger braking up front though so I might go for the 203.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.