Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a friends bike with M952 4 bolt XTR cranks, looking to replace chainrings (he likes the cranks, prefers keeping them). Found the 46t big ring new ($$$). I'd heard you could replace single piece big ring/spider with separate Shimano spider? If so which particular model/part and where can you get 'em? Any leads/advice appreciated.

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Shimano replacement rings are hard to come by and quite expensive as you have realized- your best bet is good old ebay- you can have a complete set of XTR 952 Cranks with decent rings for less than $100 or pretty much perfect for $150 most times with a bottom bracket- You can also find 4 or 5 bolt conversions if you want to go to single front chain rings, right now there is nothing listed but usually they go for $30-60 plus whatever ring you choose so it is not nearly as cost effective as just getting the whole setup. You may be able to resell the crank arms off of your buddy's bike to help him cover the cost.

Here is a perfect ring doner canidate-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XTR-Cra...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Hope it helps-

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
If he got the tools (Shimano TL-UN96 I think) with the crank like I did (I have an M950) he can change the spider out. There were some other choices for a while, haven't looked, think Avitar and AC had alternative spiders for both 110/74 and 94/58 bcd alternatives. Try googling. I had an old M739 crank that shared the same removable spider interface, so have the spider from that crank as a spare in case I find it's time to use some old 94/58 bcd 5 bolt rings...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Definately go with the new spider. I did and can now get chainrings at a reasonable price. But next you will have to deal with the dreaded 951/952 specific bottom bracket. We can save that for another day . . . .

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info, thanks

I'll check out the spider(s), I vaguely remembered that xt cranks (M739) had the spider.
I thought about picking up an (ebay) full crankset with odd arm length and swap rings.
And yes, that dreaded BB, I'm sure he's still running the original one bike was built with....

·
Registered
548 Posts
can you explain

sorry I am in the same state... what does the spider do for me. If I buy the spider, then what type of rings should I be looking at. Is there a place to buy the set?

TIA

John V
Miami FL

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am totally sold on the M952 XTR groupset.

My old bike, now my oldest brother's has at least 5-6 years of car-free + weekend epic MTB rides, and is now my brother's race machine (and he kicks ass) and it has a ZILLION hard miles.

Right shifter pod just went out, that's it.

No problems with the BB's at all. If you put a light coating of grease on the splines then torque down.........no squeaks at all.

I am building another XC race machine, and have been getting M952 parts on Fleabay.

Just scored great condition cranks for 130.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is this, IMO M952 cranks are worth keeping around.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The 104/64 adapter for M952 Cranksets is $73!!!!
The rings will cost another $70.
$143 can buy some nice, almost new XTR 952 cranks on Ebay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts