Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the pedals I am using are called PD-M731 pedal. They are from the late 80's early 90's. I have been using them since then and love them. But they are starting to wear out and would like to get a new set if possible. I saw some on ebay for $85 but I thought I would check out if any modern pedals can serve me better.

The reason why I like these pedals so much is becuase I use the power grip system and also I like that the pedal is the same on both sides. So 98% of the time I am in the straps but if I have to dab on a down hill or up hill I can just put my feet on the pedals upside down and they feel the same and when I have a chance I get strapped in again.

And not going to clipless so I am not looking at any clipless pedals.

Here are some sample pics, these are not mine but same stuff.

M731 pedal:


power grips:


For the powergrips to mount the pedal has to have the mounting holes for toe clips. That is the problem I run into when looking at modern flat pedals. Or the ones that do have toe clips aren't the same on both sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boomn said:
maybe take a page from the hipsters and try Burro Straps that are designed to work with a lot of modern bmx pedals (which will get you much better grip even without the straps)

click here for a picture of the straps
do you think these would work as good or better than the power strips? Or are you suggesting them becuase they would fit a wider range of pedals. I have never tried burro straps but I think the reason I like the power grips is becuase I can rotate my heels towards the bike and it gets tighter. Then to get my feet out I can pull back or to the side and it comes out no problem. These 'look' like they would be harder to get in and out but like I said I haven't tried them. I am going to look into them though.
 

·
I Have Cookies
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
Id get a good pair of BMX pedals (nice wide foot bed) fairly cheap 35-50$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
brent878 said:
do you think these would work as good or better than the power strips? Or are you suggesting them becuase they would fit a wider range of pedals. I have never tried burro straps but I think the reason I like the power grips is becuase I can rotate my heels towards the bike and it gets tighter. Then to get my feet out I can pull back or to the side and it comes out no problem. These 'look' like they would be harder to get in and out but like I said I haven't tried them. I am going to look into them though.
I was suggesting because they work with modern pedals, but also because once you try modern flat pedals (combined with good mtb flat shoes) and learn the right techniques you might find straps no longer necessary. I haven't actually tried those Burro straps though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boomn said:
I was suggesting because they work with modern pedals, but also because once you try modern flat pedals (combined with good mtb flat shoes) and learn the right techniques you might find straps no longer necessary. I haven't actually tried those Burro straps though
I keep hearing about these new shoes and flats and how they stick to them. My question is can you pull up on the pedals with these sticky shoes and good flats? I ride SS so on the up hills, espically steep ones I need to pull up on the pedals or I can't make it. I don't how much of a problem with my feet coming off the pedals on a down hill (mainly becuase of the power grips). I will consider flats and sticky shoes if I can pull up on them like I do on my power grips. Its been so long since I have looked for pedals and toe straps I was hoping there would be something alot better than what I setup in 1992. But I guess all the RnD went into clipless.

Or maybe I am just stuck in 1992, haha. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
brent878 said:
I keep hearing about these new shoes and flats and how they stick to them. My question is can you pull up on the pedals with these sticky shoes and good flats? I ride SS so on the up hills, espically steep ones I need to pull up on the pedals or I can't make it. I don't how much of a problem with my feet coming off the pedals on a down hill (mainly becuase of the power grips). I will consider flats and sticky shoes if I can pull up on them like I do on my power grips. Its been so long since I have looked for pedals and toe straps I was hoping there would be something alot better than what I setup in 1992. But I guess all the RnD went into clipless.

Or maybe I am just stuck in 1992, haha. :D
No, unfortunately that is a limitation of flats and is the reason I use clipless for most riding. I really don't want to be pushy about this, but if you can learn the motions you use to make powergrips effective then you can definitely learn the motions to safely and easily use clipless pedals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,088 Posts
boomn said:
No, unfortunately that is a limitation of flats and is the reason I use clipless for most riding. I really don't want to be pushy about this, but if you can learn the motions you use to make powergrips effective then you can definitely learn the motions to safely and easily use clipless pedals
This. Seriously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
boomn said:
No, unfortunately that is a limitation of flats and is the reason I use clipless for most riding. I really don't want to be pushy about this, but if you can learn the motions you use to make powergrips effective then you can definitely learn the motions to safely and easily use clipless pedals
Ya I know I will be more efficient with clipless pedals but I think other area's will suffer. I really don't like the idea that you are basically clipped in or nothing. Its the times that you can't get clipped in that I worry about. LIke getting started, or taking your foot off the pedal for a split second up hill or down hill and not being able to get back on. I know there are some clipless pedals that have kinda platform around it but I don't think its as good as a regular pedal when you aren't clipped in.

And right now I barely fall. If I hit the ground its usually less than once a year unless its a mechanial failure that caused it. I have seen the learning curve for clipless pedals and don't really want to go through that. I know its only a few rides but my group loves to really brake in new clipless riders. It consits mostly of stopping in front of you on uphills or anytime and watching you just fall over.

So I have many reasons not to go to clipless. Are they good reasons, probalby not but enough to stop me from trying it. I have a set of clipless pedals and I use MTB shoes just refusing to try them out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
brent878 said:
Ya I know I will be more efficient with clipless pedals but I think other area's will suffer. I really don't like the idea that you are basically clipped in or nothing. Its the times that you can't get clipped in that I worry about. LIke getting started, or taking your foot off the pedal for a split second up hill or down hill and not being able to get back on. I know there are some clipless pedals that have kinda platform around it but I don't think its as good as a regular pedal when you aren't clipped in.

And right now I barely fall. If I hit the ground its usually less than once a year unless its a mechanial failure that caused it. I have seen the learning curve for clipless pedals and don't really want to go through that. I know its only a few rides but my group loves to really brake in new clipless riders. It consits mostly of stopping in front of you on uphills or anytime and watching you just fall over.

So I have many reasons not to go to clipless. Are they good reasons, probalby not but enough to stop me from trying it. I have a set of clipless pedals and I use MTB shoes just refusing to try them out.
Then let me encourage you to try, and especially if you barely ever fall,because you are probably the type who will be less likely to get yourself into situations where a lack of clioless experience will put you in a bad spot. I spent a good amount of time sitting still on my bike just clipping and unclipping, riding around in a grassy field practicing stops and starts, practicing clipping and unclipping while still moving, etc before I even went on the trail. Just like the point of familiarity you have reached now with your powergrips, the clipless motions become second nature before too long. If you're riding buddies are going to be jerks about it, then get good at it before you ride with them

Quickly dabbing a foot is no problem for me, and when getting started even on steep hills there is enough meat to the pedal to atleast get a couple good crank rotations before clipping in

Of all my friends who ride clipless the one who is possibly worst at it has actually been on them nearly the longest, but he can't commit to them so he keeps finding excuses to switch to flats for this ride or that instead of putting in the effort and commitment to learn and adjust
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top