Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend had a set of white Primal Raptors that recently crapped out on her. They were a great all-around tire for her - good traction, shed mud well enough, and were fairly light. Of course, they were OE with the bike (7-8 yrs old) and the bead was shredded.

Any idea what model replaced them? She's been trying out tires that I have lying around, but hasn't found anything she really likes.

I'd be open to other suggestions, too. We're New England riders. This year that means we've been riding through swamps during the weekly racing circuit. Normally it's wet roots, nice dirt, and some rocks. She's a lightweight (100 lbs) so a lighter tire is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
bdbloom said:
My girlfriend had a set of white Primal Raptors that recently crapped out on her. They were a great all-around tire for her - good traction, shed mud well enough, and were fairly light. Of course, they were OE with the bike (7-8 yrs old) and the bead was shredded.

Any idea what model replaced them? She's been trying out tires that I have lying around, but hasn't found anything she really likes.

I'd be open to other suggestions, too. We're New England riders. This year that means we've been riding through swamps during the weekly racing circuit. Normally it's wet roots, nice dirt, and some rocks. She's a lightweight (100 lbs) so a lighter tire is appreciated.

Thanks!
What tires has she tried? I thought the Primal Raptor was a pretty dreadful tire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the rear she's got on she's pretty happy with. it's a little heavy, and we don't know what it actually is, but it hooks up pretty well. (Sidewall says Cheng-Shin.)

On the front, she's tried my Specialized (Team Control maybe? Whatever the factory front on the Enduro was a few years ago) and my Mosquito golds. The Specialized she didn't like at all, though I think it may have been a tad overinflated. I find it OK for most stuff. The Mosquito gold was better - she liked it more on the rocks, but it still wasn't great.

I've got a Bontrager Revolt Super X hanging around that I've only ridden once or twice. Might see what she thinks of that, though it's pretty different than the Primals.

If I had to choose based on tread pattern she's familiar with, it'd probably the the Velociraptor. I can't tell from the images/descriptions what is what. Is the top photo front/bottom rear? Or is top race/bottom comp?

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts