Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am doing a service on my fox nude shock on my scott spark rc, I am extending the travel to 45mm by changing the bearing inside to make the bike 120mm travel.

The problem is I need to replace the damper fluid to change the bearing but in Canada I can't find the fox red 10wt fluid for anything less then $60 for a small bottle of it...

Could I just use something else, like some maxima fork oil? I can get that for around $25 a bottle.. or is the fox red very specific fluid and shouldn't be replaced with something else? I did find an older thread mentioning some replacements for the fox red fluid but I could not find them in Canada and the price didn't seem any better anyways.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Motorex 2.5wt.....Okay if you weren't looking for +40 cST to start with.

WPL 10wt is a fairly close match to Fox Red and it's Canadian-made as well. Suspension Oil Comparison: WPL vs. Fox and RockShox
Thanks for the input everybody

Are you sure WPL 10wt is close to fox 10wt? in that link you provided it actually seems quite different specs, WPL is a close match to rockshox 10wt but doesn't appear to be a close march for fox 10wt

Is the 40 degree temp the important one to look at? im riding XC with this shock and don't see it getting too hot cause its minimal downhills

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the input everybody

Are you sure WPL 10wt is close to fox 10wt? in that link you provided it actually seems quite different specs, WPL is a close match to rockshox 10wt but doesn't appear to be a close march for fox 10wt

Is the 40 degree temp the important one to look at? im riding XC with this shock and don't see it getting too hot cause its minimal downhills
The WPL specs are here at Suspension Oil Specs

47.34 [email protected] vs 42 [email protected] with a little lower VI.

You won't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The WPL specs are here at Suspension Oil Specs

47.34 [email protected] vs 42 [email protected] with a little lower VI.

You won't be able to tell the difference.
Ahhh I see, I thought the ShockBoost Suspension Oil was the WPL oil, it shows 35.1 @ 40 degrees

So I guess I will go with WPL 10wt! Thanks for the info it appears to be much cheaper in price compared to fox red 10wt

EDIT: I think I spoke too soon, can't find the WPL 10wt for a good price, $40 for the 1L and they don't sell it in a smaller bottle, grrr almost no point in trying to save $15-20 to use non OEM oil, I want to spend like $20-30

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I don't mind doing that. Try messaging me. I'm relatively new so messages might not work for me yet. If it doesn't work, post up your email address, or mobile number and I'll get in touch.
T to the I to the double T, I to the E to the S that's TITTIES LOL

I started a conversation with you, click your red letter J on top right corner of web page and click conversations, you should see it there

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Motorex 2.5wt from FortNine is your answer.
Motorex 7.5wt is the go.

Fox have not used their 10wt red (47 cSt) in anything that I have worked on. Stock oil is still measuring the same as 32 cSt Torco RSF Medium.
I use Motorex 7.5wt which is 35 cSt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi dinsum. Do you have any of the 10wt red fox fork oil left over and available for sale? I’m in the London area too. I’m new to forums so if you couldn’t reach out to me, that would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi dinsum. Do you have any of the 10wt red fox fork oil left over and available for sale? I’m in the London area too. I’m new to forums so if you couldn’t reach out to me, that would be greatly appreciated!
S4 Suspension has everything you need if he doesn't get back to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts