Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolt that connects the shock to the froglink on my 2007 Scalpel sheared so I need to replace it. My lbs is an hour away, so I was wondering if there's a place I can order it online? According to the manual the bolt is a "Screw M6x1.0x45mm SCHS". I also need the nut since I was unable to recover it.
:confused:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, no good story unfortunately. ;) I noticed the bolt partially backed out prior to riding yesterday and thought I had just lost the nut. I went to screw it back in and then noticed that it had sheared on the far side right between the froglink and the bushing. I defniitely feel lucky that:
A - it wasn't a catastrophic failure
B - the bushing wasn't lost so all I need is the new bolt & nut

I just want to add I'm only 145lbs, ride XC trails only and don't subject my bike to any sort of extreme abuse, so I'm a little surprised that this happened.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
That bolt, as well as the front shock bolt, are prone to shearing. Check frequently that they're torqued properly - those crappy nylon lock nuts do not quite lock!

Also, be very careful when dealing with the rear bolt, particularly when removing it. The aluminum of the frog link is quite soft compared to the nut, making it very easy to strip the channel on the frog link if you're not careful to make sure the nut is fully seated in the channel while applying torque to the bolt. When loosening the bolt, the bolt tends to stick in the link/shock and push the nut out of the channel.

-Pete

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out the timing couldn't have been better for this - I order a custom Seven frame and wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks, but my LBS said it's shipping our today. So, I'll only be mtb-less for a few more days. FWIW, I'll be rocking my Lefty Carbon SL on it, so I'll post pictures in a new thread once the bike is in my hands!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts