Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get replacement bearings for the Spider frame??

It seems that I am being ignored by Intense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
my replacement bearings came from 123 bikes.com, but it is not distributed by the intense. the guy from bike shop ordered my bearings from the bearing specialty shop and it is supposed to be alot better than the ones from the intense. i think you can go to any bearing specialty shop and be able to pick up the bearings that fits the bike. good luck. jonathan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spider Bearings

I received my replacement bearings from Intense but for some reason they only sent me four instead of eight. The new bearings appear to be the same as the old ones. According to Intense they have improved the quality of the steel in the bearings.

They also sent me the new lower pivot bolts. The new bolts have not been completely hollowed out along their length like the original ones and also have a new groove for the grub screw. The new bolts weigh 5 grams more (each) than the original pivot bolts.

As for the bearings, I replaced the four old ones on the lower linkage. When I installed the linkage with the new bolts I found that the bearings were not smooth. The linkage movement is rough. It is not even worth continuing with the rest of the assembly because there is no way that the suspension will work properly in this condition. Now I have four new bearings in the lower part of the frame that are crunchy.

What is with this problem?
I either received defective bearings again or they were somehow damaged during installation. I used a 7/16" threaded rod with washers and nuts to press the bearings into the frame housing. I'm at a loss as to why they are still crunchy.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Enduro Bearings

ozonepro said:

Intense refered me to this company as their OEM bearing supplier:
http://www.abiindustries.com/enduro/index.html

Give them a call they will know the correct bearings for your bike. And their prices are low.

Intense is a very small comany and unlike most small bike companies they go on the road during the summer to support their racers and offer bike demos. So there are times they are backed up for weeks with phone and email questions.

Your Intense dealer should be able to help out, although some dealers are flakes (beware: 123Bikes.com, after frame sale, does not follow up with parts service or over charges by 2 - 3 times retail for bearings and pivot bolts in my experience).

- ray

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
i have had great luck with 123bikes

derby said:
Intense refered me to this company as their OEM bearing supplier:
http://www.abiindustries.com/enduro/index.html

Give them a call they will know the correct bearings for your bike. And their prices are low.

Intense is a very small comany and unlike most small bike companies they go on the road during the summer to support their racers and offer bike demos. So there are times they are backed up for weeks with phone and email questions.

Your Intense dealer should be able to help out, although some dealers are flakes (beware: 123Bikes.com, after frame sale, does not follow up with parts service or over charges by 2 - 3 times retail for bearings and pivot bolts in my experience).

- ray
i was taken very good care of by mike at 123bikes and i didn't even buy my 5.5 frame from them. they overnighted a derailer hanger that my local intense dealer didn't have in stock. i was not over-charged for the hanger and i was charged less than expected for the overnight delivery. i have continued to use them and i am very happy with their service.

phat

·
Registered
67 Posts
ozonepro said:
I received my replacement bearings from Intense but for some reason they only sent me four instead of eight. The new bearings appear to be the same as the old ones. According to Intense they have improved the quality of the steel in the bearings.

They also sent me the new lower pivot bolts. The new bolts have not been completely hollowed out along their length like the original ones and also have a new groove for the grub screw. The new bolts weigh 5 grams more (each) than the original pivot bolts.

As for the bearings, I replaced the four old ones on the lower linkage. When I installed the linkage with the new bolts I found that the bearings were not smooth. The linkage movement is rough. It is not even worth continuing with the rest of the assembly because there is no way that the suspension will work properly in this condition. Now I have four new bearings in the lower part of the frame that are crunchy.

I either received defective bearings again or they were somehow damaged during installation. I used a 7/16" threaded rod with washers and nuts to press the bearings into the frame housing. I'm at a loss as to why they are still crunchy.

Before you begin mounting the bearings to the frame take a moment and open the cap on one side, clean out all the grease and repack it with some really thick hard core marine grease. The problem is usually that the mass produced bearings are short on grease and they need to be repacked. The crunchy sound that you get is that the bearings are drier than they need to be and they won't stand up with out the proper amount of grease.

D.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Installing Bearings in Spider

ozonepro said:

Either the bearings were defective, or you ruined them on installation, which I doubt. When pressing a new bearing in, you MUST push on the outer race, not the inner. You should be able to press on both at the same time with the washer or bearing press, but the pressure on the inner race should not be greater than that on the outer race.
Good luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bearings from intense

I have e-mail intense 3 times. Three times I have recieved 4 bearings with-in one week. My lower link bearings went bad after about 1-1/2 months. I then replaced them with the "improved" set sent to me. No problems since, approximatly 8 months.

Since I had more "improved" bearings I replace the upper link approx. 7 months ago.

I now have 1 set of 4 new "improved" bearings in reserve.

I have experianced no other problems.

Dirk

·
Registered
23 Posts
ozonepro said:

i used to live 25 min from the intense factory, and the shop that i used was 15 min away. the shop owner builds the wheels for the demo bikes and for like half of the team. best wheels ever. anyway. intense's cus ser sucks. it takes forever to get anything out of them. but nobody cares. thier bikes are so good (2002 m1) that nobody gives a ****.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts