Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KMRIA
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have my shock (remote brain-06 Stump Pro) serviced and would also like to have a spare shock on hand in the event it fails so I won't have any downtime.

If you have any suggestions on an alternative/replacement shock and where to get it online I would appreciate it. I don't _need_ it to be a brain, something less $$ would be fine. I'm assuming the brain is a pricey aftermarket purchase.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

- John

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think someone said that they are like $500 or so... I guess the next best would be an RP3/RP23, but I wouldn't know what cost that would be!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I asked FOX about this several months ago, they told me
that the brain has a unique eye to eye distance and
there is not a direct bolt on replacement.

I ended up buying a backup brain/shock for $500 through my dealer
I have a 2006 s-works aluminium stumpy

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
He is right.

Because of the way that the end of the shock is designed, ONLY a Brain shock is going to work. No Aftermarket/standard Length shock is going to work. Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
3034 said:
I asked FOX about this several months ago, they told me
that the brain has a unique eye to eye distance and
there is not a direct bolt on replacement.

I ended up buying a backup brain/shock for $500 through my dealer
I have a 2006 s-works aluminium stumpy
Bummer... well..now you know ;)

·
KMRIA
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brutal

That's one little piece of info that I would have liked to have had before I purchased....buyer beware I guess. Don't know if it would have swayed my decision, it's a great bike. I just would have like to have known the unique nature of the shock spec beforehand.

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've always liked the idea of the Brain since it was introduced. I didn't know it was proprietary- rethinking my Specialized lust. Of course I do want to be able to say, "Yeah, I've got a brain. It's right here," and then point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.