Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Schwinn Pro Stock Team that I bought to ride around with my kids. Youngest is getting into BMX, I think I'd like to try it too. Nothing really competitive, just have some fun.

I have this irrational fear (maybe rational) of my chain coming off and going over my handlebars like I did when I was a kid, so I'd like to replace my chain. My front sprocket looks pretty chewed up (recall hearing I shouldn't put a new chain on a beat up old sprocket), so I would like to replace that too, but I'm not positive with what?

My cranks have 8 splines. My sprocket just has a hole, no splines.

On a related note, is there a difference between a KMC Z510H and Z510HX?

Just trying to figure out what my options are. Any links are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some more measuring.

On the spindle, the outer edges of the splines measure ~22mm diameter, the inside edges of the splines measure ~19mm diameter. Would that be a 22mm I assume? The hole itself in the sprocket measures ~24mm but it could be smaller.

I found a couple sprockets but they are 3/32". It appears I should be able to get away with running 1/8" chain on a 3/32" front sprocket (1/8" rear still).

I believe these are my options so far:
https://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/457051/Poverty_Econoline_Sprocket.html

https://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/457068/Profile_Imperial_Sprocket_36-46T.html

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've bought stuff at the local shop a few times, they're pretty much MTB but I'm sure they do BMX stuff too. Might save me some hassle going that route. I've been researching a bit and like to discover and learn this for myself though.

I just want to add that I'm not incapable, I'm just looking to understand. :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Dave, that style sprocket is pretty much obsolete in the bmx world these days. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a nice old profile sprocket on eBay or check danscomp.com. They are likely to have something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Yeah I've found doing more reading than I should have on this, they've pretty much moved to a cassette rear hub w/ 9t, and 25t up front. Pretty much the same ratio. I actually found what looks to be a halfway decent one over on PorkChopBMX, let's hope it works out! eBay does have a lot too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.