Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that chain stretch can wear the cassette so that when a new (un-stretched) chain is used you get skipping.

So, I just put on a new chain, and now in small chain ring and large cog, under heavy load, I get skipping. I think it only happens with that combo (need to ride more to be sure). If so, then I think my cassette is worn.

But before I go buy a whole new cassette, I'd like some advice. Is there any chance it's the chain ring, and not the cassette? (I doubt it, since the small chain ring is steel and is pretty hard) If it's just the large cog, can I replace that alone instead of the whole cassette? I think it's an older 9 speed XT or XTR. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
1st- new chain is proper length? Park Tool's chain repair/service section.
2nd-check to be sure one of the links on the new chain isn't tight (ie the one where you shortened the chain)
3rd-Good chance both cassette & chainring(s) are worn, especially if the chain was well worn. This is a pretty common problem (yep, you heard right and may have waited too long to replace your chain).
I go through 2-3 chains/cassette and keep on top of drivetrain maintenance & checking chain stretch... it's a lot cheaper in long run to replace chains:cool:.

-You may be able to replace just the large cog on the cassette, I'd check w/ some place like harris cyclery on the net. You'll need to know what model cassette you're running now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.