Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my first chain over the weekend. I replaced it today, but I accidentally took off one more link than I should have when sizing it. My old chain (which was only 2 weeks old) had 53 links. The one I put on today (same model) has 52. Is this going to be a problem? I tried to add a link but it was very stiff and would have done more harm than good I think.

Is a shorter chain bad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GrapeApe said:
I broke my first chain over the weekend. I replaced it today, but I accidentally took off one more link than I should have when sizing it. My old chain (which was only 2 weeks old) had 53 links. The one I put on today (same model) has 52. Is this going to be a problem? I tried to add a link but it was very stiff and would have done more harm than good I think.

Is a shorter chain bad?

Thanks.
If a chain is tight after pressing a pin in try flexing the chain perpendicular to the way the chain is made to bend. This eventualy loosens the tight link. Takes a lot of back and forth flexing before it works, but it works

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.