Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weight is not an issue at all.

Price is an important point, but not the main one.

I'm not switching to eagle, since I have a 11-46 cassette that suits me perfectly. I'm then staying with 11 speed.

FYI as of right now I can get the following prices:
GX: $ 93
X1: $ 168
X01: $ 180

I've noticed that Sram moved from carbon cages (X01 11 speed) to aluminium cages (X01 Eagle). That must be for a reason. Is that durability?

So, in regard to that situation, I tend to think that aluminium is superior to carbon in derailleur cages.

That makes me think that a X1 is a better choice than X01 in terms of cost-benefit and durability, since most people say there is zero to minimal difference in how shifting feels between them.

GX came to mind since it is also aluminium, although an inferior (maybe not so much to be considered, though) build.

What's your opinion on this choice? I'm tending to get X1 if aluminium cage is indeed more desirable than X01's carbon cages.

P.S.: I've broken 1 outer cage of that X01 before, when the chain ran off from the jokey and forced everything apart. Maybe it wouldn't be like that with aluminium?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You say weight isn't an issue, but price is your issue, albeit not the main issue. You haven't then identified what you want most aside from price/weight. Unless it's durability.
In my opinion, the average user isn't destroying derailleurs. You have only had one incident.

You've already talked yourself out of the cheapest option that is nearly 50% off of your next option. It sounds like you've mostly made up your mind but looking for justification.

Might as well go with the X01 for only $10 more than the X1 since price isn't the main concern and nothing to be saved with the X1 in terms of cost.

A bit confused.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say weight isn't an issue, but price is your issue, albeit not the main issue. You haven't then identified what you want most aside from price/weight. Unless it's durability.
In my opinion, the average user isn't destroying derailleurs. You have only had one incident.

You've already talked yourself out of the cheapest option that is nearly 50% off of your next option. It sounds like you've mostly made up your mind but looking for justification.

Might as well go with the X01 for only $10 more than the X1 since price isn't the main concern and nothing to be saved with the X1 in terms of cost.

A bit confused.
Ok, let me try to make myself clear, if it seemed confusing.

Price is relevant, although I'm looking for the best choice to get regardless of price. Yes, quality and durability is the main game here.

This way, I put GX in the discussion, just so if someone shows me that it is somewhat comparable to the others, ~50% lower price would make a difference in the choice.

Weight is definitely not an issue on this. I brought that up because it is a common factor people point at when discussing aluminium vs carbon. And the difference in weight between all these products is less than an extra granola bar, so that's not to be addressed.

Yes, my mind is tending towards X1, but I don't need a justification. I rather need to confirm if my researches and my thoughts on these reasons (sturdier cage) are right by getting other riders' opinions.

If there is no big difference between aluminium and carbon in terms of how each one can stand hits and trail debris I'll definitely go X01 to keep the bike's original specs with a superior mech.

I hope I made things clearer now.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
My bike came equipped w/a GX 11spd rear derailleur. After a couple seasons upgraditis set in and I switched the GX for an XO1. In a blind test I noticed absolutely nothing. Placebo effect means it must be better after I spent additional $$.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,189 Posts
I've been super happy with my X01s, I have 3 and my original one from ~5 years ago is still going strong, lots of hard abusive riding. This is the most life I've ever gotten out of derailleurs and I've had a few lower end SRAM, but I think the X01 is a significant pricepoint improvement over the next lower.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I switched to a GX drivetrain on one of my bikes and it is truly set and forget about. Now four of the five bikes I own are GX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to give a feedback on thie topic, I went with GX and don't regret. Solid mech at a better price for me. Thank you all for your contribution.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
GX and up for 11sp and NX and up for Eagle...mechanically...all function the same.

When you start physically comparing them...you'll see that the more expensive derailleurs will have more machining on the knuckles and lighter component parts...like aluminum/Ti bolts...aluminum/carbon for the derailleur cages. The XX1 will have ceramic bearings in the pulleys. That's what drives the price up...and brings the weight down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.