Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All! I am currently riding on an '06 Mongoose Wing Elite (XL Frame) and I think the fork is screwed up or at least not up to what I need. It bottoms out pretty easily and I think its leaking. Being said I want to replace it but I have no clue what "size" or type of fork I should be looking for.

Any ideas on where I could find that information for my bike? Any suggestions? How much should I spend?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
112 Posts
it depends on how much you originally spent for the bike i would check out a rock shox tora coil sprung that will give you a huge jump over the stock fork and i would also look at replaing your rear shock to a manitou radium or a rock shox shock but it really depends on how much you have to spend and you want to put into the bike

·
Registered
290 Posts
Looks like it came with a no-name 80 or 100mm fork.
Take a look at the RockShox DART fork. It's quite affordable, and offers a lot more adjustability than you're used to, but if you're riding an XL frame, you may be large like me (6'4". 220lbs) and you're going to want to look into a fork that can be re-built with stiffer springs, or an air fork that can be set for your weight. Not sure if the DART has these options, but if it does, it's a steal for under $200.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
I looked and it looks like you can get one for abot 400.

In my opinion i would look at getting a new bike with better componets overall instead of spending half of what the bike is worth on a entry level fork such as the dart. Sell it and buy a nice hardtail.

If you are dead set on keeping it id look at the dart 3 it has lockout and is the max i would spend on that bike.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
spec4life said:
....In my opinion i would look at getting a new bike with better componets overall instead of spending half of what the bike is worth on a entry level fork such as the dart. Sell it and buy a nice hardtail.

If you are dead set on keeping it id look at the dart 3 it has lockout and is the max i would spend on that bike.
X2...............................................

MrMook said:
... a fork that can be re-built with stiffer springs, or an air fork that can be set for your weight. Not sure if the DART has these options, but if it does, it's a steal for under $200.
The Dart3 that came on my hardtail had a red dot sticker under the lower stanchion that said, 'firm' so it would seem that there are different springs available for the Dart forks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.